Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2006 VTX 1300 last week. It was new (even though it was an 06) and the first thing I want to do is get some pipes or drill mine. The service manager at the Honda place says thats the worst thing I can do for my engine and that I will forever have problems and be tinkering with the carb. Obviously it seems everyone alters their pipes but he is the "service manger" so I have to take it into consideration. I don't want to harm the bike. Any advise on the topic?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Just tell the service manager he is full of poo

do a search for the clayton mod, it is the drilling of the pipes, then go to the 1300 board and read the sticky post on the carb tuning by Scar.

new pipes don't require rejetting but they will sometimes need a adjustment of the A/F screw, now if you do an airbox mod or a new style then you might need to shim the needle, it is all in the post by Scar and many others.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I just bought my 2006 VTX 1300 last week. It was new (even though it was an 06) and the first thing I want to do is get some pipes or drill mine. The service manager at the Honda place says thats the worst thing I can do for my engine and that I will forever have problems and be tinkering with the carb. Obviously it seems everyone alters their pipes but he is the "service manger" so I have to take it into consideration. I don't want to harm the bike. Any advise on the topic?

Yep, get a new dealer.

Plain and simple find a dealer you can trust. I'm not sure ANYONE buys a bike for the second or third time and DOESN'T change or alter the exhaust. This is one of the easiest and cheapest mods available to you..regardless of bike.
Yep, you might have to make other minor changes, but only if you do something big...like REPLACE the pipes.

I drilled out my pipes and it did sound better...but also still sounded like a sewing machine, so I bought some Speedster longs. Yes, I do need to make a change to the A/F screw, as I'm getting some backfiring and popping. But the odds are, I could ride for the next 300,000 miles, and other than an annoying POP, be good to go...with normal maintenance.
So, your dealer is trying to either rip you off, or he's a complete idiot, I'm not sure which. Find a new one.

Bubba

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah...he said I would have to deffinatley re jet the carb if I do any mods to the pipes. He told me that it may run lean and that the back pressure would be all screwed up leaving me with a leamon. The only draw back to messing with the stock pipes is I don't want to screw up my warranty. But thanks for the advise...I know that I will do something, now it's just figuring out and finding the sound I want.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
There should be no need to rejet with new or modified pipes if you leave the stock airbox intact. Just a tweak to the AF screw, unless you happen to live at altitude.
Messing with the jets is what will cause you to be 'tinkering' with it.
I've found most of the folks on this site know more about the bike that the dealer techs.
P

·
Registered
497 Posts
My service manager is someone that I trust and he is not a fan of the Clayton mod. He said that I lost some HP when I did it. Not a big concern to me. He has never told me that it would hurt anything.

He has always taken good care of me with everything, but, at the end of the day, he is in business for profit. So you always have to take that into concideration.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Your service manager is an idiot, and is feeding you a big bunch of bull plop....You won't need to rejet your carb, the bike will run just fine, and it won't void your warranty.....Now go get that drill and get busy....:stirpot:

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
The stealer is gonna say that crap. Modifing or after maket pipes will not void the warranty. Tell that service manager I want a bike with sound, not the sound of a singer sewing machine! LOUD PIPES RULE!:patriot:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts