Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I'm asking, is I'm having issue on the highway with the bike bogging down at cruise speeds. It's very erratic. Anyone know knows me, knows I've been chasing this on and off for a while.

I've been putting the carb back together tonight, and I was estimating how far the needle comes down when the float would sit on the bottom of the bowl and the flow rate into that bowl isn't very quick at all.

I'm wondering if there is a difference between the two parts. I can't seem to find my OEM needle. I thought I kept it just for reference, but who knows.

I thought someone here might have used the All Balls Racing kit to fix their carb and might have a photo.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Sorry, I have no photo. I also have not heard of an "All Balls Racing Kit and its associated needle. The great majority of folks on the VTX Cafe who rejet a 1300 carb use a Factory Pro jet kit. I can assure you that there are two differences between the stock needle and the FP needle. The taper is different and the FP needle has 5 or 6 (cannot remember which) different places in which the clip can be inserted to give the needle 5 or 6 different starting positions in relation to the jet into which it slides.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I have no photo. I also have not heard of an "All Balls Racing Kit and its associated needle. The great majority of folks on the VTX Cafe who rejet a 1300 carb use a Factory Pro jet kit. I can assure you that there are two differences between the stock needle and the FP needle. The taper is different and the FP needle has 5 or 6 (cannot remember which) different places in which the clip can be inserted to give the needle 5 or 6 different starting positions in relation to the jet into which it slides.
I'm sorry, I'm referring to the needle that connects to the float that allows fuel to fill the carb bowl.

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Sorry, nevermind :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is this what you are talking about? Honda Motorcycle 2007 OEM Parts Diagram for CARBURETOR | Partzilla.com part #27
View attachment 239978
I have not used the all balls kit for a VTX, but have for my ATV with no problems

Yes, this is the part I'm referring to. I used the one from the All Balls kit, given my problems of bogging down and dying on the highway, I'm leaning towards the bowl is getting sucked dry.

So what I did, is I pulled out the bowl drain plug and timed it for two minutes, and I got 17 Oz of gas came out in 2 minutes. Which doesn't seem like a lot. I feel like I could very easily burn that while driving down the road.

Why it doesn't run out of fuel on a Wide Open Throttle 1 - 2 and a shift into 3rd, I don't know.

This damn bike is pretty simple, and I just can't fathom what could be causing this.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
559 Posts
17 oz in 2 minutes, 2min X 30 =1 hour, 17oz X 30= 510 oz/hr, 128 oz in 1 gallon, 510/128 = 3.98 gallons per hour.
I checked my math 3 times, feel free to check it yourself. Doesn't explain your problem, but IF that flow rate is consistent, then flow into the bowl isn't your problem, unless you only get 15 miles or so to the gallon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
17 oz in 2 minutes, 2min X 30 =1 hour, 17oz X 30= 510 oz/hr, 128 oz in 1 gallon, 510/128 = 3.98 gallons per hour.
I checked my math 3 times, feel free to check it yourself. Doesn't explain your problem, but IF that flow rate is consistent, then flow into the bowl isn't your problem, unless you only get 15 miles or so to the gallon.
I agree the math works. Even at a conservative 20mpg, I only should need about 3 gallons and hour. But it seemed like a low flow rate. I assume when the engine is running the vacuum from the carb pulls more fuel than can leak out of the bowl due to gravity.

I checked the path again ( I found a small pipe cleaner) and I've run it through the inlet 15 times and nothing has come out. I then sprayed carb cleaner, and blasted 80psi air from the compressor through the circuit to make sure. I can see the yellow of the pipe cleaner if I look up through where the float goes.

I guess my next step is to check the ICM wires while someone hold the throttle open and see if the bike changes in anyway.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas on why the bike dies out on the highway at 70mph+, as if it's running out of fuel. But doesn't do it on a WOT 1,2 all the way up to 80.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts