Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Winter this
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dealer for 600 mile service. They blanked out the part of the service page saying "adjust valves" at 600 miles, and put it on 4000, 8000, etc. I'd like to know if I should be calling up Honda HQ in Torrance about this. I paid $289 when the valves were the only thing on the list I didn't feel comfortable about doing, anyway. If I had known these clowns wouldn't do the adjustment, I would have done the rest myself, and would have spent nothing except for oil and filter.
I was warned about Panama City's dealer, but also was told that since it was new and under warranty, I should take it to them, anyway.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
yet another stealer steals.......welcome to the .......can't say it..............lol

we feel for ya bro.....

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i'm so glad i do all the work on my bike. although, i must admit the dealer i use to buy my bikes from does do exactly what they say they are doing and does it at a fair price. i understand you can't judge all dealers by the many that suck out there, but i just don't trust the majority of them. i would take mine to the dealer i buy my bikes from if i couldn't work on them, but that's just stupid not to atleast check the valves at the initial service. i've seen some that don't need adjusting at the initial service, but it's better to check them and make sure than to burn them up and not know it before it's too late.

·
Registered
84 Posts
for what it's worth, i have had several dealers tell me they listen to the valves to determine if they needed adjustment or not and then tell me 99.99% of bikes don't need an adjustment. hence, no adjustments or checks actually made. i learned to do it myself. initially a scary prospect, but with a few correct tools and a good guide it aint so bad and gets easier every time you do it. and you know it was done.

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
I just had my 8,000 mile service done 489 dollars later! I went for a ride the next day about 350 miles to come back home to find out they didn't tighten the drain plug. I thought I owned a Harley for a minute, puddle of oil! That will be the last trip to the Honda dealer in Elk Grove CA. Honda!:nope:

·
Currently in Chrome Rehab
3,526 Posts
In MHO, I would demand that they do EXACTLY what HONDA says to do at the scheduled maint intervals. Honda engineers didnt just make up a schedule.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
In MHO, I would demand that they do EXACTLY what HONDA says to do at the scheduled maint intervals. Honda engineers didnt just make up a schedule.
+1!!!!!...........
I just had my 8,000 mile service done 489 dollars later! I went for a ride the next day about 350 miles to come back home to find out they didn't tighten the drain plug. I thought I owned a Harley for a minute, puddle of oil! That will be the last trip to the Honda dealer in Elk Grove CA. Honda!:nope:
Finally we get a name to avoid!!!....
Went to the dealer for 600 mile service. They blanked out the part of the service page saying "adjust valves" at 600 miles, and put it on 4000, 8000, etc. I'd like to know if I should be calling up Honda HQ in Torrance about this. I paid $289 when the valves were the only thing on the list I didn't feel comfortable about doing, anyway. If I had known these clowns wouldn't do the adjustment, I would have done the rest myself, and would have spent nothing except for oil and filter.
I was warned about Panama City's dealer, but also was told that since it was new and under warranty, I should take it to them, anyway.
You can take your bike to ANY Honda shop and not affect warranty coverage...In fact, you can perform all the maintanence yourself and not affect warranty coverage...Just make sure to write down the odometer reading, and save all reciepts in case you need to prove the work was done...I had my first service done by a local Honda shop just so they have it in the comupter system that it was done at a Honda shop...I'll do all the other maintanence myself...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does anyone know if you can have the dealer only check the valves and adjust if needed on your 600 mile service. And do the the oil change and the other maintainence yourself? That would be the only thing I myself wouldn't be comfortable doing.:hmm2:

·
33,457 Posts
Does anyone know if you can have the dealer only check the valves and adjust if needed on your 600 mile service. And do the the oil change and the other maintainence yourself? That would be the only thing I myself wouldn't be comfortable doing.:hmm2:
It's been done before...If your dealer refuses, then go someplace else...

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Always remember, YOU are the customer, if the dealer won't do what you ask within reason, FIRE 'EM!!! No reason for the dealer to insist on doing an oil change if you only want them to do the check/adjustment. My job is about 90% customer service, my motto is: Sell them what they want, then sell them what they need...lol! But the customer is always right, they pay the salaries ultimately.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
It's been done before...If your dealer refuses, then go someplace else...
+1. just find one you can trust. and if they say they did it while the motor was hot, just call them a lie and refuse to pay for the service. the bike must be cold to perform an acurate valve adjustment. otherwise, they're just pissing in the wind.

·
33,457 Posts
+1. just find one you can trust. and if they say they did it while the motor was hot, just call them a lie and refuse to pay for the service. the bike must be cold to perform an acurate valve adjustment. otherwise, they're just pissing in the wind.
+1!!!!!!!!!........Gotta leave the bike sit overnight to do it proerly....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Panama City dealer is pretty terrible at just about everything. I bought my bike in Dothan - which personally I have found the service and the quality of service Ive gotten from the guys in Dothan are about 100x's better than the Panama City clowns.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I bought my bike used with 420 miles on it. I took it to the dealer at 600 miles so they could check it out like they are supposed to do. THis way I would know that everything was as it should be. I did mark the valve caps to make sure they did at least check them. They did. My complete service was $180. Now this did not include a valve adjustment but it did include them checking it. You shoud cantact the dealer and as what they did for that amount of money. Checking the stem cap torque and making sure the axles are still tight is all part of the service. They should check any bolt or part so that it is safe to ride. That is what the first service is for. By all means contact the dealer and Honda USA.

·
-Reaper
130 Posts
so will doing my own 600 mile service void my warrenty?? iam a good mechanic and am a lil scared about checking the valves but i knwo they arnt hard to do and ill have the tools, also how would you prove that you did the valve adjustment??

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought my bike used with 420 miles on it. I took it to the dealer at 600 miles so they could check it out like they are supposed to do. THis way I would know that everything was as it should be. I did mark the valve caps to make sure they did at least check them. They did. My complete service was $180. Now this did not include a valve adjustment but it did include them checking it. You shoud cantact the dealer and as what they did for that amount of money. Checking the stem cap torque and making sure the axles are still tight is all part of the service. They should check any bolt or part so that it is safe to ride. That is what the first service is for. By all means contact the dealer and Honda USA.
+1b on marking the vaule caps! The "McGyver Mark"

·
Registered
116 Posts
Listening to valves, what happens if they are tight, sounds like bad practice.

·
Registered
399 Posts
for what it's worth, i have had several dealers tell me they listen to the valves to determine if they needed adjustment or not and then tell me 99.99% of bikes don't need an adjustment. hence, no adjustments or checks actually made.

For what it's worth, I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade with 27 years experience. If anyone tells you that they can listen to an engine and tell if the valves need adjusting, run, don't walk away from there and never go back. That is total BS.

Listening to valves, what happens if they are tight, sounds like bad practice.
Exactly! There is NO way to tell if valves are too tight by listening to them. I work on caterpillar equipment, most of the machines we have call for a 2000 service (that includes valve adjustment check), and it's mandatory to remove the valve covers and check the valves with a feeler gauge. If I told one of my customers that I listened to the engine and the valves didn't need adjusting and it got back to my boss, I would have to pack a serious a$$ chewing.

:cheers:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got the honda mechanics phone # from my sales guy,when I bought the bike.called him, he did my 600 service checked everything ( he wanted the return customer)put my pipes ,hyperdrive,jetted carb 200 bucks,good deal i would guess.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts