Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may remember a couple of weeks ago I bought a 2007 VTX 1300 that had the very loud tick. With the help of Poisons write up (Thank You!) I was able to get the valves adjusted and the tick was gone. I found the rear exhaust valve was very loose! Sice doing the adjustment I now hear very little ticking and am thinking I may have them just a smidge tight so I'm going to check them this weekend. My question is how much drag should i feel on the feeler gauges? Last time I made sure the .006 was good and firm, meaning it had quite a bit of drag on it but the next size up was practically impossible to get in there and the next size down had slight drag on it. I really don't want to do this again for awhile and want to get them right this time so was wondering how you guys determine the "right" amount of drag. Do you just feel for slight drag or what?

thanks in advance!

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Normal sound is like a sewing machine.

-Gonz
+++:cheers:, but it may be hard to hear the sewing machine depending on your pipes!!LOL!! Kidding aside, if you're on the shifter side of the bike away from the pipes, it really should sound like a sewing machine.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Hey "Smartie" (and, you know, I mean that with the utmost respect) when we gonna have a mini tech session for those of us that know the way? :hmm2:
Well off to Cape Coral, FL tomorrow for Thanksgiving at my daughter's and then home a week before heading to Key West Dec 8-14 so it will have to be after then. I ordered the proper adjustment tools and they are here and have numerous feeler guages. Need to look at a date and get someone that does the steering bearings here too!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I've done my valves a couple of times and I'd swear that they're not right. When I brought it home from the stealership, I didn't hear a thing. Never did hear anything till I did the adjustment. I've done it a second time and I'm sure they're correct (I think) but man it seems loud to me. If that next tech session is within 6 hours of me and I can get a couple days off work, I'll be there!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I've done my valves a couple of times and I'd swear that they're not right. When I brought it home from the stealership, I didn't hear a thing. Never did hear anything till I did the adjustment. I've done it a second time and I'm sure they're correct (I think) but man it seems loud to me. If that next tech session is within 6 hours of me and I can get a couple days off work, I'll be there!
Sounds to me like the dealership didn't do it right, and you did....;) :cool:

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer didn't even check, let alone adjust the valve clearance. From what you have described, you now have it correctly in spec.
A few years ago a friend of mine took his in to have his adjusted so after getting a $150 bill.
It kind of hit the fan. We had placed a piece of string on one of the bolts that definitely had to be removed to adjust the valves. But the darn string was still there. ??

Donut
:patriot:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I REALLY could use a tech session. I am at 700 miles and need valves, pair valve, and perment A/F tool help. I was just going to see if anyone local would mine helping me
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
lol, Donut, that stealer was kind enough to replace the string after he did the job. :D JK, of course, i would like to know how many stealers just pocketed the extra money, especially on the first valve adjustment at 600 miles. It's pretty sad. Bry

I REALLY could use a tech session. I am at 700 miles and need valves, pair valve, and perment A/F tool help. I was just going to see if anyone local would mine helping me
Posted via Mobile Device
Hi Burrage, there are at least 3 alabama riders groups here in the Cafe, you could probably join one of them for riding and help. I think tech meetings happen in your part of the country too. If not, you could probably do what you need by the threads and tech articles. Many of us have solved our problems that way.
good luck!
Bry

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
i would like to know how many stealers just pocketed the extra money, especially on the first valve adjustment at 600 miles. It's pretty sad. Bry
I'd say that number is about 99%
I'm sure there is a few honest dealers that actually do the work, but there's more bad apples that screw people just to make a buck.

I know a guy who works for a stealer and he says there's pressure from the office to get the bikes in & out as fast as possible so they can make more money, so being a customer rarely knows the truth (unless they put some string on it,lol) they usually get charged $150+ for the first oil change and some complimentary scratches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts