Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm about to perform a clutch replacement on my 2007 Honda VTX 1800 F. After a lot of research, it appears that the best way to go is to buy new Honda OEM steel plates(7 of them) and MTC Friction Plates(8 of them), along with MTC springs. The switch seems to be pretty straightforward, although I have read a few posts about drilling holes along the edge of the clutch basket to allow better oil flow into the center(hard to reach) places within the basket. Is this a good idea? Should I bother? What could go wrong? Will it make it worse?
After years and tears of riding and racing motorcycles, I still seem to struggle with getting the perfect oil for wet clutches. Some swear by synthetics with no energy conserving additives, etc. Others say to avoid all synthetics with wet clutches. I'm at a loss. I've tried both and always seem to have some slippage. I do get on it pretty good and demand a lot. I'm not running NOS or Turbo, but I do want it to be tight shifting from 3-4, 4-5, etc. Please tell me what the best oil in the world is for these VTX 1800 wet clutches. Any thoughts on the basket drill and overall clutch replacement would will be appreciated. Many thanks.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
basket drill is a not worth it.. my opinion. unless a turbo or full time racing is involved.

MTC clutch and springs... did mine 40,000 miles ago.. Good unit.

Mobil 1 synthetic oil.. been running synthetic oil in Honda bikes since 1974... that is over 350,000 motorcycle miles.
my Goldwing went 149,000 miles towing a 500 pound popup trailer.. almost all them miles. original clutch.

Reactions: dscopes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In regard to your Goldwing/Trailer setup, I'm actually considering designing and building a custom trailer hitch and moutn for my VTX 1800. I have a small 10' Rigid inflatable boat. I love to fish and think that towing that with a few poles to my favorite honey holes will be great. Whatta ya think? Is there a solid aftermarket hitch/mount for the VTX 1800?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts