Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded a Yamaha Vstar bike for the Honda and the Yamaha required drive shaft periodic greasing of the spines. Question does VTX have any drive shaft requirements like the Yamaha?

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
drive shaft maint. is required...i don't know the mile intervals, but i know on the kawi and suzi it's every 8,000 & 16,000 miles...if the splines get dry, you know what's gonna happen and it ain't gonna be pretty....i haven't read where many here do it, but i do know they're are some here that grease the splines and they can perhaps tell you the recommended schedule on the honda as i haven't owned a honda in 2 years now

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
The driveshaft itself doesn't require any maintenance, but the splines and flange bearing in the final drive should be lubed with moly paste every 10,000 miles...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
None needed

It sounds to me like the drive shaft does NOT have ANY required maintenance. The differential requires oil change which I did with synthetic 80W. The splines on the rear wheel and the matching splines on the differential should be coated with moly paste whenever the tire is removed.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
It sounds to me like the drive shaft does NOT have ANY required maintenance. The differential requires oil change which I did with synthetic 80W. The splines on the rear wheel and the matching splines on the differential should be coated with moly paste whenever the tire is removed.

Is this correct?
That is correct

72,000 miles now and never had to pull the drive shaft for and reason.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I only know of one drive shaft ever going bad in seven years on three boards. And the guy that actually broke his on his 1800 had tottally and I mean totally abused the bike. Hole shots to the max - burnouts all the time - and I have herd him hit the rev limiter hundreds of times at a stand still. This guy totally abused the bike trying to destroy it. The bike was stripped totally only headlight seat tail light and handle bars , no front fender and hand painted black with brush I think. looked like a rat bike. Honda said they had never seen anyone destroy a drive shaft before. So don't worry about yours and after what I've seen him do to the engine you dont have to worry about hurting yours. You cant believe what I have seen him do to that bike and it's just keeps on going. So if you ever hit your rev limiter don't worry - you didn't hurt a thing. All this was back in 2005 and the bike is still running.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Honda said they had never seen anyone destroy a drive shaft before.
i under stand destroying is one thing versus breaking, but i do hope honda wasn't saying that in all the years they've made bikes, they've never had shafts break, cause i know for a fact that just wouldn't be the truth as i've helped replace 5 in the last 10 years on honda bikes :cheers:

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
i under stand destroying is one thing versus breaking, but i do hope honda wasn't saying that in all the years they've made bikes, they've never had shafts break, cause i know for a fact that just wouldn't be the truth as i've helped replace 5 in the last 10 years on honda bikes :cheers:
That was the only on I have heard of but he totally abuse it.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
That was the only on I have heard of but he totally abuse it.
LOL...i understood what you meant, i was just giving input to what i've seen as well...most shafts that break do break from abuse and not normal usage with proper and timely maint...same as with an engine i guess you could say :cheers:

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
LOL...i understood what you meant, i was just giving input to what i've seen as well...most shafts that break do break from abuse and not normal usage with proper and timely maint...same as with an engine i guess you could say :cheers:
Lo .l just cant enplane in words how bad he abused it. You would have to have seen how much abuse this guy was doing with his bike - it was unbelievable. After seeing what he was doing with it you would think anything you did would never hurt yours. The way we take care of ours they are almost bulletproof with a little common seance.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
LOL...believe me, after being in dirt biking and drag racing for so long, i know the abuse you're trying to explain (even though only 1 of the shafts i replaced was on a guys bike who went to tuesday night bike night every week)...but i know where you're coming from bro, for sure...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts