Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only explanation of the sound I'm hearing, and I'm stumped for a diagnosis. A metal ZZZZIP ZZZZZZZZIP ZZIP, mostly when in second, no drivetrain load, 27-33mph range. Sounds like a collapsing slinky amplified; bottom rear area or the drive train. Can't really say whether it's left or right. Much more predominant when the bike is cold; not fully warmed up and more noticeable down hills or when there is slack in the drive train. Anyone have a definitive diagnosis/fix for this noise? Is it the final drive flange bearing I keep reading about?
Thanks, Brian.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
This is the only explanation of the sound I'm hearing, and I'm stumped for a diagnosis. A metal ZZZZIP ZZZZZZZZIP ZZIP, mostly when in second, no drivetrain load, 27-33mph range. Sounds like a collapsing slinky amplified; bottom rear area or the drive train. Can't really say whether it's left or right. Much more predominant when the bike is cold; not fully warmed up and more noticeable down hills or when there is slack in the drive train. Anyone have a definitive diagnosis/fix for this noise? Is it the final drive flange bearing I keep reading about?
Thanks, Brian.

No definitve answer to your question, but have you checked your final drive fluid level lately?:hmm2:

·
Registered
706 Posts
put it on a jack, put it in gear and see if you can find the noise source
I agree, running the bike with the rear tire off of the ground will allow you to isolate the problem area. Use a stethescope.

The main caveat here is securing the bike. The bike needs to be on a solid platform (never ever trust hydrolics to hold a load. Strap the frame down solid and use a failsafe overhead if possible.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I agree, running the bike with the rear tire off of the ground will allow you to isolate the problem area. Use a stethescope.

You can also use a flat head screw driver, place the metal tip on what you want to listen to and the plastic handle to your ear, it will amplify the sound...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Y'all. Yes, I serviced the Final Drive about 800 miles ago; Quaker State 80W-90, API GL-5 and MT-1. Serviced as per page 3-14 of the maintenance manual; on the side (kick) stand. I own a decent Sears MC jack, but would never run a 650+ pound bike on it. Guess I'll be buying a solid jack stand to go with it. (expletive) beautiful. :coffee:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Thanks Y'all. Yes, I serviced the Final Drive about 800 miles ago; Quaker State 80W-90, API GL-5 and MT-1. Serviced as per page 3-14 of the maintenance manual; on the side (kick) stand. I own a decent Sears MC jack, but would never run a 650+ pound bike on it. Guess I'll be buying a solid jack stand to go with it. (expletive) beautiful. :coffee:
One of the regulars, maybe Gonzo, knows of a company that sells awesome stands at a good price, 35 dollars i think..its called espx.com or something close. I'm sure another reader will know about it. absolutely will prevent any tipovers imho.
Bry

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
honestly with the bike strapped down and the jack lowered into one of the locks( weight off hydraulics), I would run mine on it....
+1... I've done this with it on the jack and locked into position for the same purpose, mine turned out to be the heat shield was loose on my pipes.

Disclaimer...
As long as your not going crazy with reving it up & letting off it real quick it won't rock on the jack.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, my bikes' been visited by the heat shield fairy with a good buzz before; had the rear jug pipe shield rattling on the nut. The sound I have now isn't even close to to that one. I'll find a good stand, find the ZZZZZip gremlin, evict him (or her) and tell the next guy to buy a stand too. I was just hoping someone here has served this eviction notice before, and could save me an hour of searching. I've just gotten back into riding after a 30 year hiatus. I remember the jack stand troubleshooting stunts I pulled back in the late 70's. My RM125 was a bit lighter though. Y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving. :)
+1... I've done this with it on the jack and locked into position for the same purpose, mine turned out to be the heat shield was loose on my pipes.

Disclaimer...
As long as your not going crazy with reving it up & letting off it real quick it won't rock on the jack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts