Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lenovo N100 3000 laptop. I just got my first mp3 player so I downloaded iTunes and was going to convert some of my cd's to mp3's. I loaded the disc into the drawer, pushed it in.....heard the thing start running and then stop. I went into My Computer and the DVD drive was not listed. I ooked at My System and clicked on DVD drive and the screen is blank as far as telling me the particulars for the device. All the other stuff when I click on it gives me the Manufacturer, model and so on. Does anyone have any idea what this means?????? Is the DVD drive shot and there for not communicating with the computer???

I really need some help here folks.....

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
what operating system?
Has it worked in the past?
if you open Windows Explorer is is shown?

We'll start there...This isn't easy via texting...

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Reboot. That's all the computer repair jargon I know.
I wish!

that's probably better than my suggestion......throw it against the wall!!
Funny you should say that. I......um, I mean. the store picked up an Ipod Touch yesterday. I spent more than a few hours trying to get it to connect to my wifi. Did the same this morning. It kept asking for my password and I kept entering it to no avail. Called Apple and let the guy into my laptop to see if we could figure it out. Turns out the PASSWORD was actually the KEY to the router software. Key...Password..Key Password.:mad::mad::mad::mad: See the *%^$ing problem. It almost hit the wall several times.

what operating system?
Has it worked in the past?
if you open Windows Explorer is is shown?

We'll start there...This isn't easy via texting...

Windows XP
Yep, use to work.
I have not needed to use for sometime though.
No, it does not show.
[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]Go to this link (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVSU-UPDATE.html#DLP) and download this software - System Update 3.14 (16MB) and install it. It will automatically download the proper driver for your hardware components.
[/FONT]
Worth a shot, I will give it a try.

Thanks guys!

Dutchman, I tried and it will not complete the install. Says it cannot find a .Net framework to work with. Have no idea what that means.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You can try this....Lenovo has a power saving feature where it turns off the drive when not in use.
you double click on your battery/charging symbol on the tool bar on the bottom left.
then when it opens, the quick check is to click on the maxium performance on the left side of the menu. Or....You could go to the system settings and open it to the drop down and disable the automatic optical drive power off for both battery and ac power.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world ( code words for HELL ) of trying to make Windows be plug and play.

More in my experience over the years as plug and pray.

Sounds like a driver problem. Should have been installed with the initial load. Sometimes that is not the case. Is the driver CD provided ? Might try a reinstall.

If that doesn't work reinstall a Macbook after taking epi's advice. Goodbye to your driver problems.....

Just an aside - I have four Lenovo PC's at my worksite. These are provided by companies we lease medical equipment from as part of their systems. I have replaced all four of the machines at least twice and some cases more in 3 1/2 years, their failure rate is far above any brand PC I have ever dealt with and getting any type of support on them is a near impossibility. Good luck in getting your problem solved.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the wonderful world ( code words for HELL ) of trying to make Windows be plug and play.

More in my experience over the years as plug and pray.

Sounds like a driver problem. Should have been installed with the initial load. Sometimes that is not the case. Is the driver CD provided ? Might try a reinstall.

If that doesn't work reinstall a Macbook after taking epi's advice. Goodbye to your driver problems.....

Just an aside - I have four Lenovo PC's at my worksite. These are provided by companies we lease medical equipment from as part of their systems. I have replaced all four of the machines at least twice and some cases more in 3 1/2 years, their failure rate is far above any brand PC I have ever dealt with and getting any type of support on them is a near impossibility. Good luck in getting your problem solved.
I have all of the disc but they are just numbered 1-5. Nothing says drivers and since the thing is not recognized by the computer now would it even run?

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
About your only chance ( easy ) is to go into the bios, change the startup drive to the CD/DVD drive and try and boot from the #1 restore disk.

The restore process will destroy anything on the disk if you do get a successful boot from the CD's but should get you going again. Being able to boot from the CD should eliminate it as a physical hardware problem.

Worth a try ...

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About your only chance ( easy ) is to go into the bios, change the startup drive to the CD/DVD drive and try and boot from the #1 restore disk.

The restore process will destroy anything on the disk if you do get a successful boot from the CD's but should get you going again. Being able to boot from the CD should eliminate it as a physical hardware problem.

Worth a try ...
Meaning I would have to reload everything??

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
YEP - programs • accessories • and all of the updates • you will lose all of your files you don't have backed up - Sorry.

Another option:

If you could get a hold of Lenovo they should be able to tell you the CD drive installed and give you a site on the net where you could get the driver for that CD drive. In this way you could get it installed without CD. Or get it downloaded anywhere and you could transfer the installer to a thumb drive or even run it from the thumb drive.

Good Luck.

You are dealing with some of the exact reasons why I have 113 PC's at work I HAVE to deal with and hope they work day in and day out and I have Mac sitting on my desk over seeing all of them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Lenovo N100 3000 laptop. I just got my first mp3 player so I downloaded iTunes and was going to convert some of my cd's to mp3's. I loaded the disc into the drawer, pushed it in.....heard the thing start running and then stop. I went into My Computer and the DVD drive was not listed. I ooked at My System and clicked on DVD drive and the screen is blank as far as telling me the particulars for the device. All the other stuff when I click on it gives me the Manufacturer, model and so on. Does anyone have any idea what this means?????? Is the DVD drive shot and there for not communicating with the computer???

I really need some help here folks.....
If you rebooted and nothing and if you loaded the driver and nothing then get a used drive. Search for the same drive and replace the drive. I have done it with a dell, hp and acer. Doug

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Ok, first off, dont re-format the thing.. That is an absolute last resort, no matter what the Mac Fans say.

Driver? Id doubt it. They don't just up and disappear.

Go to the Control Panel, then Device Manager. Look in the list for CD/DVD Rom Drives. Is it listed there?

Those drives are removeable. If I remember correctly, Lenovo (Formerly IBM) has a locking mechanism on the bottom under the drive to "release" it and slide it out of the laptop.

If it is not listed in Device Manager, shut the system down, pull the drive Out of the laptop, re-insert it, then boot.. Does it appear?

Try that, and we will go from there.

-Gonz

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Gonzo, I will try that tonight.

Everyone I do appreciate your suggestions.

Ray, you write the check and I will buy one. LOL

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so ........I looked on the bottom of my laptop for the slide lock you mentioned Gonzo and the only slide locks I found were the two for the battery. I did find a screw that looked like it had a flat piece of metal with a slot in it. So I shot some pics to post for you to see. I hooked my card reader up to the laptop and clicked on My puter and...............the MF was there! WTF?!?!?! Put a disc in and it works. It WAS NOT there last night. I am a might confused but glad it magically reappeared!

Anyone have an idea as to why it was playing hide and seek?

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Did you check to see if your Lenovo had the power manager app (double click on the power symbol in your lower task bar) and if it was enabled?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you check to see if your Lenovo had the power manager app (double click on the power symbol in your lower task bar) and if it was enabled?
I did and it was good. I think the damn thing just wanted to make my life more miserable than it already is. I never cared much for hide and seek!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts