Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.. i've been reading this forum for a while, but i think this is my first ever....maybe 2nd post. anyway, thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to clue me in on.... here's my problem.

i have a 2008 Honda VTX 1300R, which i bought brand new with 2 on the odometer, as of today it has 100,500-ish miles. it has been a fantastic bike, i have ridden it all over the country, both costs, just all over. but late last year i began having issues. basically, the motor keeps dying on me. i have had the carb cleaned, that helped for a while, but i know its soemething to do with the fuel. (i have always used the highest octane available at filling time). i have had the petcock replaced and etc etc. and after 5 or so trips to the local shop it is still having this problem. here's a practical example. my commute to work is 5.5 miles. the last 2 or 3 times when i go to work, it dies on me, in almost exactly the same places each time. it dies in the neighborhood, then right after i get on the highway.... and when it dies, if i try to start it up immediately, it usually does not start right back up. but if i wait a little bit - 5 or 10 minutes, she fires up and away i go. the last shop that looked at it, the manager tells me to bring it in, and i dont want to because its been in and out of the shop for a couple months (and about $1500 later) and it still isnt working. i'm not a mechanic, but i'm not an idiot either and so i'm just hoping someone can give me a clue to check out. i've heard fuel filter? petcock? vacuum line? anyone have any guessses? this is my primary mode of transport, and quality of life is so greatly improved when she is a reliable vehicle. please help!

·
Super Moderator
12,003 Posts
I think you need to do more diagnosing before you can narrow in on a possible cause. Unfortunately, diagnosis is very hard to do on an intermittent problem like yours. If you can reliably get it to stall and not start, then immediately after it stalls, try the following tests. When the bike has stalled and you try to fire it up, what are the symptoms? Does the starter motor run and turn over the engine but the engine will not run on its own?

1) Open the drain on the carb float bowl, does plenty of fuel come out? Compare this amount to the amount that comes out when you drain the carb float bowl at a time when the bike has NOT stalled. This would let you know if the problem might be with fuel delivery to the carb. Possible causes would be petcock or vacuum activation of petcock.

2) Put the bike in neutral and double check that it is in neutral. Quickly pull all four sparkplugs. Connect the removed plugs to their respective boots/wiring, ground the metal side or threads of the plug against a metal part of the engine, and try to start the bike. Do you see a blue spark at the electrode of each plug? It may be necessary to do this in a dark garage to see the spark.

3) Remove the airbox cover and air filter. Spray starter fluid into the carb intake and try to start the bike?

4) Remove the airbox cover and air filter. Twist the throttle while looking in the intake throat of the carb. Do you see fuel squirting out of the little brass nozzle that sticks out into this throat?

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,333 Posts
it dies on me, in almost exactly the same places each time. it dies in the neighborhood, then right after i get on the highway.... and when it dies, if i try to start it up immediately, it usually does not start right back up. but if i wait a little bit - 5 or 10 minutes, she fires up and away i go.
My guess is the Vent line is clogged or not attached. If it is dying at approximately the same place, same situation over and over again. If you take your gas cap off and hear a hiss of air then that's you problem and/or it starts right up after removing the cap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello Everyone.. i've been reading this forum for a while, but i think this is my first ever....maybe 2nd post. anyway, thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to clue me in on.... here's my problem.

i have a 2008 Honda VTX 1300R, which i bought brand new with 2 on the odometer, as of today it has 100,500-ish miles. it has been a fantastic bike, i have ridden it all over the country, both costs, just all over. but late last year i began having issues. basically, the motor keeps dying on me. i have had the carb cleaned, that helped for a while, but i know its soemething to do with the fuel. (i have always used the highest octane available at filling time). i have had the petcock replaced and etc etc. and after 5 or so trips to the local shop it is still having this problem. here's a practical example. my commute to work is 5.5 miles. the last 2 or 3 times when i go to work, it dies on me, in almost exactly the same places each time. it dies in the neighborhood, then right after i get on the highway.... and when it dies, if i try to start it up immediately, it usually does not start right back up. but if i wait a little bit - 5 or 10 minutes, she fires up and away i go. the last shop that looked at it, the manager tells me to bring it in, and i dont want to because its been in and out of the shop for a couple months (and about $1500 later) and it still isnt working. i'm not a mechanic, but i'm not an idiot either and so i'm just hoping someone can give me a clue to check out. i've heard fuel filter? petcock? vacuum line? anyone have any guessses? this is my primary mode of transport, and quality of life is so greatly improved when she is a reliable vehicle. please help!
try removing tank,drain fuel remove fuel petcock, fuel cap off . blow back the vent line with compressed air 10-15 psi . can you hear the air coming out . you can also try to snake .030 stainless steel safety wire as far up as it will reach. I did that on my tank after sitting and finding rust internally. The safety wire is flexible yet strong enough to bend and dislodge any flakes if present in the vent line . If this were a 1950 or 60's car I would guess fuel percolation . But we know that the carb sees no high heat to cause that. Can you duplicate if the bike is stationary on a stand ? You say it helped when the carb was cleaned for awhile . What changes , what was found when cleaned . Was there fine material .....rust..... present in the fuel filter or carb intake screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is the Vent line is clogged or not attached. If it is dying at approximately the same place, same situation over and over again. If you take your gas cap off and hear a hiss of air then that's you problem and/or it starts right up after removing the cap.
OK so i had to abandon her yesterday and catch a rid to work, after i got home last night, same story, she started right up. so i went and filled the gas take and rode a round for maybe 15 or 20 minutes and went home. this morning, today, i get ready to go, and on a whim i open the gas cap to just see how much fuel i burned, and for the first time i noticed an air pressure like sound when i pulled the cap. i've never observed this before to my recollection. what does this mean?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
try removing tank,drain fuel remove fuel petcock, fuel cap off . blow back the vent line with compressed air 10-15 psi . can you hear the air coming out . you can also try to snake .030 stainless steel safety wire as far up as it will reach. I did that on my tank after sitting and finding rust internally. The safety wire is flexible yet strong enough to bend and dislodge any flakes if present in the vent line . If this were a 1950 or 60's car I would guess fuel percolation . But we know that the carb sees no high heat to cause that. Can you duplicate if the bike is stationary on a stand ? You say it helped when the carb was cleaned for awhile . What changes , what was found when cleaned . Was there fine material .....rust..... present in the fuel filter or carb intake screen.
i was not the one who cleaned the carb, so i cant say what if anything was present in the carb or intake etc. but i have specifically asked the shop guys about the fuel filter , and they were rather dismissive of the suggestion. i'm not a mechanic, but in my mind the problem seems like its not getting the fuel when it needs it, like the bottom drops out of my throttle, and i can just picture the fuel leaking out of some place or a line clogged up with just a trickle of fuel going where its supposed to. i'm really at my wits end with this one. anyone please have an idea what to do next?

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,333 Posts
White Organism Map Font Art

Organism Slope Font Parallel Circle

Remove the seat and lift the tank. On the right hand side near the rear underside of the tank will be a small pipe attached to the tank. That breather hose connects to that vent tube. It runs down towards the rear tire. About half way down there is Tee that goes nowhere to prevent a siphon. That hose not being connected is your problem

·
Super Moderator
12,003 Posts
As others have indicated, the air rushing sound you heard is a strong indication that the vent line is clogged. Conduct the following test. Ride the bike until it exhibits the problem. Remove the gas cap to equilibrate the pressure and see if the bike will run normally again (for a few minutes until the tank gets a low/vacuum pressure inside it from a clogged vent line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 244392

View attachment 244393

Remove the seat and lift the tank. On the right hand side near the rear underside of the tank will be a small pipe attached to the tank. That breather hose connects to that vent tube. It runs down towards the rear tire. About half way down there is Tee that goes nowhere to prevent a siphon. That hose not being connected is your problem
thaank you. i will definitely investigate this possibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, after all of this, i am about 98% sure i have a fuel leak some place. i can smell gasoline near the biuke after the it has been parked for a little while, and my gasoline is definitely not taking me as far as it typically has in the past. IDK if this is another symptom of my original mysterious issue, or if i should start a new thread on how to diagnose and locate a fuel leak?

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK so i had to abandon her yesterday and catch a rid to work, after i got home last night, same story, she started right up. so i went and filled the gas take and rode a round for maybe 15 or 20 minutes and went home. this morning, today, i get ready to go, and on a whim i open the gas cap to just see how much fuel i burned, and for the first time i noticed an air pressure like sound when i pulled the cap. i've never observed this before to my recollection. what does this mean?
I you hear air rushing in.....you have a problem with a clogged vent . Remove tank drain fuel and see if you can attach a small line to tank vent and blow into it. You should be able to easily expel all of your breath , if it is clogged internally it will not happen easily . Start from there and work your way to the carb when air moves freely thru the lines . Check all hoses and see if the feel spongy or are collapsed . With the mileage and age of the bike I would replace all vent lines . Cheap investment and 1 less thing to worry about..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts