Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
NorthEast USA Rider
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also see my post on the 1800 forum having to do with pigtail battery jumper problem.

Story short: New factory battery last August. Dead after getting gas at station couple days ago. Futzing around with it today, I noted that initial voltage was about 13.65

The manual says that a full charge is 13-13.2 volts.

After about 45 minutes it was down to 13.27

I keep it on a battery tender when not in use (when I'm not actually sitting on it and riding it).

Manual says that voltage should only drop by about 1% per day. Starting from 13.65 that should only bring it down to 13.64 after an hour, not 13.27.

So, is my 10 month old factory sealed battery dead?
And if so, why?
Is it because the battery tender keeps overcharging it?

Would a short circuit somewhere in the system cause this to happen?

Thank you all of you wizards for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
two questions, is it a Yuasa batter and was the battery left in unheated garage over the winter? I have seen motorcycles show sulfation in one or two cells in as little as a year's time up here in the NorthEast.. I know it seems unlikely, hopefully your battery is fine. Did you check to see if there is any current being drawn from the battery when the ignition key is off?
 

·
NorthEast USA Rider
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
two questions, is it a Yuasa batter and was the battery left in unheated garage over the winter? I have seen motorcycles show sulfation in one or two cells in as little as a year's time up here in the NorthEast.. I know it seems unlikely, hopefully your battery is fine. Did you check to see if there is any current being drawn from the battery when the ignition key is off?
Yes, it's a Yuasa battery. I got it from the Honda Dealer. They said it was the best. The battery was left in the bike over the winter, in a heated garage, on a battery tender, and I took it out for a 10 mile ride or so every couple weeks all winter long, when the streets were not wet or snowy.

There is what appears to be an excessive amperage draw when the key is off, about 0.56 mAmp. I tried to find out what it was from but came up with no answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Here is what you might have to do...after unplugging any non stock accessories, if you still have the same amount of draw when the bike is turned off, you might have to just unplug one connector at a time. Inside the headlight shell would be the best place to start if you have to go this route. If you have a honda shop manual, it has a very good schematic. If you dont have a shop manual, you can download one here at the Cafe. Wishing you good luck! Bry
 

·
NorthEast USA Rider
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what you might have to do...after unplugging any non stock accessories, if you still have the same amount of draw when the bike is turned off, you might have to just unplug one connector at a time. Inside the headlight shell would be the best place to start if you have to go this route. If you have a honda shop manual, it has a very good schematic. If you dont have a shop manual, you can download one here at the Cafe. Wishing you good luck! Bry
Thanks, Bryan. I put the same post on the 1800 forum, more details there. I unplugged the fuse for the odometer circuit and the amperage drain dropped right down to zero. So it's somewhere in that circuit. Circuit goes to the speedometer and some other places as well, details are on the other forum. Speedo wiring goes into the headlight bucket, so, as you suggested, that was going to be my next stop for poking around. When I put the extra driving light mod in, it called for more wires plus a relay inside the bucket, so when I put it back together things were really squished in there. Maybe a wire's insulation got rubbed off or something. I took the battery to the dealer today and they tested it, said it was "perfect", said a charge of 13.65 was within normal limits and also said that the amperage drain of 0.53mA was OK too!!! I guess everything is OK with them !! The manual I have says anything over 0.1mA is a problem to be resolved. Thanks for you help, man. Safe riding.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top