Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just mounted a new front tire on my wing myself....thank you...thank you. I used dyna beads to balance the tire. I was really amazed at the difference in the feel of the tire compared to the stock tire I was running. I thought my shocks were going, but it turned out to be the tire. The stock tire felt like a rock every time I hit a bump. I'm not sure if it was the new tire or the beads that made the difference.

It got me wondering about tire weights in general. Do mc tire have to be rebalanced? In other words, do the low spots change over time? If yes, then it would be a good endorsement to use dyna beads since since they are not fixed in one spot. I'm thinking of replacing all of the weights on our bikes with dyna beads for this reason. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You hit on it. That's the main reason the beads are so popular, that and the fact that it can be done by anyone handy with tire spoons. Most people really swear by them. Good luck!

Bry :choppersm

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used 2 oz in the front as well. Based on my limited knowledge of how they work, I don't think adding extra ounces would hurt or benefit, but then again why would you want to?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
With the darkside (car tire Mich Hydro Edge 205/70/15) on the rear I used 4 oz in the rear, 2 oz in the front with the Metz 880

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
To answer one of the other questions, well I didn't see it, I could have missed it.
Sometimes you do have to pull a tire and re balance it if you use the weights. I have had to do it on a couple of mine before I started using the beads.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be putting them in my unsealed spoke tires soon. I gave it some thought and can't see how they would damage the tubes. The beads themselves will roll around the tube without damaging the rubber. Maybe there is a higher risk of moisture with the tubes versus tubeless...:hmm2:That risk has to be pretty low and the dynamic balancing for a smooth ride can't be beat.

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
This is from the question and answer section of the Dyna Beads website

Can I use Dyna Beads in motorcycle tires that use tubes?
Absolutely! As a precaution, we always suggest a new tube with a new Dyna Beads application to avoid the problems of compressor oil accumulating on the inside over time. It turns gummy and the beads will stick to it.

http://innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts