Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of y'all have this filter, but i couldnt quite find what i was looking for. I have cobra dragsters and a chopped air box with k&n filter. I'm on 3 shims with the scar method. If i buy this filter will i be able to tune the carb? I really like the looks of it but I dont want to have to get into rejetting the carb if i can help it.:nope: Does this thing pull more air than the decapitated airbox mod? Also considering the velociraptor from kury. Dont know about the airflow on this one either. I really dont want to get into a tuning nightmare I just want to clean up that side of the bike and give it a different look. Better performance is always welcome too.:D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i have that intake and had to put in the factory pro stage 3 ket kit. It was worth it once i got the bike tuned...i also bought a rain filter for it. there is a video on my website on how to install that jet kit. It is something that you could do in an hour or so.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I know some of y'all have this filter, but i couldnt quite find what i was looking for. I have cobra dragsters and a chopped air box with k&n filter. I'm on 3 shims with the scar method. If i buy this filter will i be able to tune the carb? I really like the looks of it but I dont want to have to get into rejetting the carb if i can help it.:nope: Does this thing pull more air than the decapitated airbox mod? Also considering the velociraptor from kury. Dont know about the airflow on this one either. I really dont want to get into a tuning nightmare I just want to clean up that side of the bike and give it a different look. Better performance is always welcome too.:D

Long story short: Yes.

Get the Factory Pro Stage 3 Jet Kit. $65 @ Amazon.com

-Gonz

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the factory pro kit comming.... What is a baseline for my setup kury velociraptor and cobra dragsters? I've never messed with this stuff before.. I can tune a carb and recognize lean and rich but i'm confused about where to start with these jets. Can anyone give me a suggestion of a starting point?:banghead:

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I got the factory pro kit comming.... What is a baseline for my setup kury velociraptor and cobra dragsters? I've never messed with this stuff before.. I can tune a carb and recognize lean and rich but i'm confused about where to start with these jets. Can anyone give me a suggestion of a starting point?:banghead:
58 pilot Jet
215 Main Jet
E-Clip on 4th Notch from Blunt End
Stock Spring
A/F 2 1/4 turns out from lightly seated

That should be a great starting point for you.

-Gonz

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you... oh yeah I cut the stock spring via the scar mod to about i think 5 1/4 if i remember right. Should I use one of the springs that comes with the kit? Thank you for all your help and patience.:patriot:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
thank you... oh yeah I cut the stock spring via the scar mod to about i think 5 1/4 if i remember right. Should I use one of the springs that comes with the kit? Thank you for all your help and patience.:patriot:
The Factory pro kit doesn't come with a new spring, you will save yourself a lot of head ache if you just buy a new stock spring. (there fairly cheap) Cutting the spring anything under 6" causes stumbling issues with some carbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Jeremy, Thanks for the video about installing the Factory Pro jet kit and the Ebay spike filter. I do have a couple of question though. 1.) Do I need to oil the filter element? If so, how do you do that. and 2.) You mentioned that you have a rain cover for it, where can I find one?

Thanks again,
Roger

·
X Virgin
5,221 Posts
I want to order one of these for a winter mod but don't know how they play into the Cobra pipes and power commander that's already on it.
Is that the same as the jet kit and will need modification/scar mod/AF screw adjustment if I install this?

I like bolt on mods, not things that need me to be a semi-competent mechanic :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the same factory pro kit to go along with the spike air intake, but since I had so much fun installing my after-market exhaust, I am gonna let the dealer jett my carbs.... sounds like too much fun for me...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
QUESTION for those with Spiker filter Mod....

I am on the fence with this, I like the looks a lot..
But I am also in need of some clearance for my leg to get to hwy bars...
Right leg hits the stock air cleaner and makes it hard to stretch out...

Does this allow for leg clearance to hwy bars...?????
That is my main concern and what I want... (plus the looks)..

·
Registered
1 Posts
After installing the ebay cone filter you all are talking about I've been having issues and now sputters. I actually bought my filter off of Amazon but from looking at the filters they are both the same. Thing came with no instructions but seemed like a pretty easy install anyway. Got it all put together but was confused about what lines to plug and what lines to leave alone. Right now I have the hose coming off the top left side of the carb hanging down. If I plug it, it will not get the air flow needed to stay running. The other smaller one on the bottom I put on the secondary air filter and then the big hose is left open. I've tried to cap the big hose but seems to sputter allot more with it capped off. I did however realized that the T hose on the choke side was off which explained why it didn't start at first. Must've pulled it on accident while taking about the stock box. Anyhow, I put the hoses back together but seems to be running way too lean with sputter. It's really annoying. I've been looking at some of the threads answers to my problem and seems that some of you have rejetted the carbs while some others were ok without rejetting. Now, my setup is simple. I drilled out the baffles on my VTX1300R and changed to the cone filter. That's it, nothing crazy. I'm going to be custom fabbing my own exhaust tips by removing the stock ones and adding some straight pipes off of the stock headers. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts