Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help guys I ususlly find my answer from searching the form but in this case only half of it.

What started is this past Sunday I was out for ride bike would run bad when applying throttle it would sputter backfire act like no gas. Then finally just died now won't start.

From searching I read green and black wires on ecm break. Well sure enough both are out of connector. My question is what's my options to fix them. And hoping this is the problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only option is to replace the terminals. Go to http://cycleterminal.com/, you can get most terminal ends and the special crimpers there. I would suggest extending the wire a few inches to allow slack. If you just replace the ends it could cause too much tension and you will be faced repairing it again. If you join the extended wires to the main harness don't just butt connect them because it can create too much resistance in a ECM wire causing the voltages to be off. You should solder the wires and heat shrink them individually.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some of them needs a release tool but most of them can be released with a straight pin/ Look at the terminal there should be a little piece of the terminal sticking out (inside the plug) that you release. Not knowing what type terminal it is I cannot tell you weather is comes out the top or bottom. If there is a seal in the bottom, it should come out with a pick or just come out with the terminal. I know I have been a little vague but without seeing the terminals I can only answer in a general manner. Hope this helps you. Also to reiterate what I said above, the ECM type terminals use a special crimper. If you try to use a standard crimper it will not be tight enough.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
You may have to take detailed image - post here as well - Radio Shack more than likely has the special release tool -
it's usually a hollow micro tube on handle - that inserts over connector to release the pins..

As said - either add on the harness - or create slack.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only option is to replace the terminals. Go to http://cycleterminal.com/, you can get most terminal ends and the special crimpers there. I would suggest extending the wire a few inches to allow slack. If you just replace the ends it could cause too much tension and you will be faced repairing it again. If you join the extended wires to the main harness don't just butt connect them because it can create too much resistance in a ECM wire causing the voltages to be off. You should solder the wires and heat shrink them individually.
I don't see the terminal I need on that site they look round, looks like the one I need is more square looking. Would radio shack carry them

·
Registered
55 Posts
Radio Shack probably won't but if you contact the people from the site they might be able to get them. Anther option is go to the dealer and purchase the terminals

·
Registered
201 Posts
Might want to try a MAC or Snap on truck. That's where I got mine. The tool has 6 or 7 different shaped pin pushers on them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK, after doing some research on past posts to understand exactly what the ECM was and the troubles some have experienced ( Luckily, I Haven t yet ) is there anything I can do to prevent this problem other than strapping it down to the battery compartment. Foam padding etc.. Checking mine this evening pulling things off anyway to install Glens A/F tool.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
is there anything I can do to prevent this problem other than strapping it down to the battery compartment. Foam padding etc..
Honda didn't do much here for protection -
If I was at Honda - it wouldn't leave the building w/o embedded jacket full covered armor bonded to the plugs.

Yes - anything you can do to lessen the damage - by all means implement it.
Even Boat seat vinyl cover jacket mod sewn / velcro perhaps - just off the top of thought.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I didnt have access to a tool for mine. I was 2 days away from going on the Laughlin run. I had to moddify a connector end so it would stay plugged into the ecm box. been 2 yrs and no issue yet ....knock on wood

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm having no luck yet finding a terminal that I broke. I found a website that had what looked to be the right ones might just order and hope for the best. If not might have to get new harness

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see that you have gotten your answer and it is the best one so far. I had this problem in 2009 with my 2007 VTX 1300c. My motorcycle had the exact issue and I had no idea of how to fix it. At that time I was not able to find anyone that had current knowledge of how to fix it. I am headed out using thermostat wire show get into the whole or the wire was broke and Jimmy rigged it to stay in place with silicone caulking. It is now 2013 and I ride my motorcycle you around and I have not had any other issues. I do not suggest fixing it the way I did. But as you can tell it worked and there are no further issues. It is always an option.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
OK, after doing some research on past posts to understand exactly what the ECM was and the troubles some have experienced ( Luckily, I Haven t yet ) is there anything I can do to prevent this problem other than strapping it down to the battery compartment. Foam padding etc.. Checking mine this evening pulling things off anyway to install Glens A/F tool.
Give the wire a slight tug to pull it up from it is coming from to give it some slack (the common cause from wire breaking). Then wrap the wires at where they come out of the ECM good with a non sticky stretch electrical tape , (a 3M product) sold at Lowe's in the electrical department.
Donut/ Doug

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
wrap the wires at where they come out of the ECM good
with a non sticky stretch electrical tape , (a 3M product) sold at Lowe's in the electrical department.
Donut/ Doug
I just found my roll - it very cool stuff about 1-1/2 wide roll.
It can secure electronics devices when traveling - remove it when done - no marks.
I'm sure it's water proof and good for this application.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I just found my roll - it very cool stuff about 1-1/2 wide roll.
It can secure electronics devices when traveling - remove it when done - no marks.
I'm sure it's water proof and good for this application.
Hum, the stuff you are talking about sounds different than what I use.
Mine is 3/4" wide that has a white backing that has to be pealed off and once it is stretched and applied over itself and sets for. Wile you have to cut it off and also holds up in the heat and doesn't get sticky.

Doug

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
I'll see if I can find it again - not at the shop this week.
I think it was called magic tape - no liner - it stretches & sticks well to itself only.

I found it at a truck stop of all places during a tour transporting a web sites new van with a mill of computers on board out of Tampa - and needed something to mount my gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey hutch, did you ever find the terminal you needed? I’m going throw the same issue and I can’t find any new terminals!

I'm having no luck yet finding a terminal that I broke. I found a website that had what looked to be the right ones might just order and hope for the best. If not might have to get new harness

1 - 20 of 20 Posts