Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i wrote something longer that i just bumbled and eraced it. so anyone notice a decent increase in mpg after the 8k service? is there any way they could have disconnected the light during the service somehow?thanks.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Absolutely it could have got disconnected under the tank at service time... How much of a MPG increase are you talking though... I can get 200 miles on a tank, with the light coming on at 186 if I'm on the highway riding steady and not to throttle happy.

How far have you went?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nowhere near 180's. it was coming on in the 130's. i got the service about early march and the light hasn't been on since, or i haven't noticed it. i've hit mid 140's twice so far and still haven't seen it. at some point i just get gas 'cause i don't want to push my luck too far.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yeah if they took the tank off to adjust the valves they may have forgot to plug in the low fuel sensor. Just ride until you figure about when it would come on previously-mileage wise- then go a little more and fill up. See how much gas it takes. My light typically comes on when there 1.2 something gallons left.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Mine usually comes on around 135-140 range. However, at about 120 I'm lookin for fuel.

·
Registered
208 Posts
With mixed driving, my light comes on around 130 or so. Even after valves, spline, Seafoam, synthetic oil, driveshaft oil change, and new plugs I still only managed just under 150 before my light came on. 2k miles later, I'm back to ~130 again.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Absolutely it could have got disconnected under the tank at service time... How much of a MPG increase are you talking though... I can get 200 miles on a tank, with the light coming on at 186 if I'm on the highway riding steady and not to throttle happy. How far have you went?
Let me clarify a couple of things about mine... the Neo has a slightly bigger tank that other models, and I put Sideburners on, that open up the backpressure (that increased my mpg by about 7, when I put them on)

Around town, my light comes on at 165 to 170 always....

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have gas envy. Normal riding my light comes on at ~115. The most I have ever gone before it came on was ~125. The most I've ever pushed it before getting gas is 140 and that's where I'm at now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
158, and still no light.

i just took my cap off and shook the bike. i can still hear gas sloshing around but i think i've taken it as far as i want. i don't feel like pushing that thing so i'll get gas on the way home tonight. i think i'll run by the dealer tomorrow and see what they tell me.

also, does the light come on when you turn the key to run? like that initial test the other lights do? i just thought to look and it doesn't, but i don't remember noticing if it did before.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, found that out.

went by the dealer and explained things. he looked at the plug (didn' know it was so easy to get to. i could have looked myself) and it was plugged in. i asked about the key on light check so he just tried another 1800 they had there an the light didn't come on.

the light it's self is on a ic board and not replaceable, his guess is a sensor in the tank that may have gone out, about $100 parts and labor.

i guess i'll live with it. the next scheduled service is 12k, so i may let them do it and see about the sensor then. i still feel a little funny about the coincidence of it seeming to go out after the service, but... well i can't prove anything and i can't see where making a big issue of it is gonna help me.

i guess if this is a ***** in the bulletproof honda armour, it's one i can deal with.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm dredging this up instead of starting a new thread. looks like the plug was disconnected, but now i can't figure out where it goes.

doing a hypercharger install (which is giving me problems on it's own, about to head to the dealers in a minute), so i had to lift the tank, which i had been wary of doing (for good reason. after all the stories i read i still spilled gas everywhere).

so i can see the plug coming off the bottom of the tank, but does anyone have an idea where the other end is? i guess being unplugged so long it could have worked it's way anywhere. i don't really want to take the tank the rest of the way off, but if i can't find the other end i guess i may have to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts