Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 VTX 1300S and have charged my battery fully and when I turn on the key the lights are very dim like it has little to no juice. I have checked the fuses but haven't tried to jump start it. Starter won't even turn over at all. HELP. I wanna get one last ride in before the cold sets in.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Fully charging a battery does NOT guarantee that the battery is good. Do the following as the first step:
1) Fully charge the battery
2) Remove battery from bike
3) Take battery to any chain auto parts store
4) Ask them to perform a 100 amp load test on the battery
5) Report back the results. My hope and prediction is that the battery is bad.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,721 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Read the voltage at the battery with nothing turned on. A fully charged battery's static voltage will be 12.8 volts. If it isn't, you can stop right there and need to replace the battery. If it is reading proper voltage now turn the key on. It will drop down about 0.5 volts with only the ignition on. Don't have any radio or whatever on at this time, just the lights should be on. If the voltage drops dramatically it could be something drawing too much power or a bad connection. Checks your battery terminals first. Both should be tight with no wiggling cables at all. If they are good, check further down the line. Check ground connections VERY good looking for anything loose. All of this is assuming, of course, that your battery is indeed good. Batteries go bad all the time. You don't even want to try to start one of these bikes with a weak battery as it will 'fuse' the starter solenoid contacts closed and you will end up with a runaway starter connection that makes for a fun day. If you find loose connections, especially on the grounding side, be sure to clean the area up very well before tightening up the connection. You do NOT want rust between the cable and the frame as that will just make things worse at a later date. Put a dab of dielectric grease over the connection when you are finished to prevent corrosion in the future. Hopefully this is something simple for you to take care of. Let us know what you find. Good luck!

Reactions: SPARKY5151

·
Super Moderator
5,664 Posts
Just know that sometimes an older (occasionally even a newer) battery will read full voltage sitting idle, BUT, the instant you put any kind of load on it the voltage will drop off drastically! This is usually caused by a cracked plate or cracked jumper between plates. The only real test is (as Vinish said) a 100 amp load test, and don't let them tell you that motorcycle batteries need a 50 amp test! There are hundreds of years of experience on this forum and the almost universal consensus is that the 100 amp test is the one to do!!!

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,721 Posts
What Sparky said. I have a battery right now that I use for running a few LED lights because that is all the draw it can handle. It reads fine with no load but it will not handle more than a 5A draw before it drops below 9v and that is just not enough to use for anything on a bike. But it runs lights in the shed just fine. I'm cheap and will run that battery until it will no longer charge at all.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Just know that sometimes an older (occasionally even a newer) battery will read full voltage sitting idle, BUT, the instant you put any kind of load on it the voltage will drop off drastically! This is usually caused by a cracked plate or cracked jumper between plates. The only real test is (as Vinish said) a 100 amp load test, and don't let them tell you that motorcycle batteries need a 50 amp test! There are hundreds of years of experience on this forum and the almost universal consensus is that the 100 amp test is the one to do!!!
Welcome back, Sparky! Where ya been hiding?

·
Super Moderator
5,664 Posts
Rehab Fran!!! Seven months since the accident and just finished trips to Physical therapy, but will still have to work on it at home as I am not up to full range of motion, but getting close. Although, going into this and while still in a sling the orthopedic surgeon said that there was a chance that I would never get back to full range. So far I am thinking that I will have at least enough range of motion to ride again but I will have to wait till spring to find out!!!!!! :giggle:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts