Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing a new 250w Shark Radio and several strip LEDs on two different circuits. I have a fuse block installed and wondered what size fuses to install. What amp fuse for the Shark? What size for the LEDs? Thank you in advance.

WVWOODSVTX.:icon_susp

·
Registered
719 Posts
Read the documentation for the radio and see just how much amperage it pulls at 12-volts. If the data is not there, call and ask. You could also divide the watts (250) by 12 (your bike's voltage system) and arrive at 20.8 amps. I would call the manufacturer and ask about the maximum amperage draw. Then put a fuse in line that is just a tad above the stated max. 20 amp draw...install a 25 amp fuse. The LEDs draw practically nothing. A 1-amp fuse should be fine.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
The shark radio system comes with an in-line fuse. You'll just need a positive terminal to connect to, or remove the fuse and plug into a terminal with same size fuse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read the documentation for the radio and see just how much amperage it pulls at 12-volts. If the data is not there, call and ask. You could also divide the watts (250) by 12 (your bike's voltage system) and arrive at 20.8 amps. I would call the manufacturer and ask about the maximum amperage draw. Then put a fuse in line that is just a tad above the stated max. 20 amp draw...install a 25 amp fuse. The LEDs draw practically nothing. A 1-amp fuse should be fine.
Thanks for the response. I did not see amps on documentation and I really don't know who makes this item. Using the 20.8 amps calculation I will use a 25 amp fuse. Thank you very much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts