Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon. I come to the gurus seeking some advice on this electrical issue with my 08 VTX 1300.
This is what happened. One morning I charged my motorcycle then drove about 8 miles to work. Some 12 hours later I get off work to start the bike. Turn the key, all systems go, push the starter button, all systems blank with that static sounding noise. No lights anywhere.
I have this accessory bundle on my motorcycle that has 4 LED light strip + 1 small light on each side of the headlight. It also has a stereo.
These have been running on the bike for months and months and months with no issues and the only thing that I did different that day was charged the bike. When it blanks out my battery is at 3.0-4.0. if the bike sits for a while it'll go to 12.6 and it takes a charge to 13.3. Without the accessory box connected it fires right up.
What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
16,101 Posts
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

·
Super Moderator
9,739 Posts
Charge the battery to full first but then definitely have it 100 amp load tested.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Also did you use a socket and wrench to tighten the screw on the battery post screw or just use a Philips screw driver to tighten it? Also I don't like using plug in terminals for high draw application. I would remove that terminal in the picture and go back to a crimp on ring terminal on the wire and tighten it with a socket or box wrench on the battery terminal!!!! Vibration from the bike will loosen the post screw unless you get it tight!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also did you use a socket and wrench to tighten the screw on the battery post screw or just use a Philips screw driver to tighten it? Also I don't like using plug in terminals for high draw application. I would remove that terminal in the picture and go back to a crimp on ring terminal on the wire and tighten it with a socket or box wrench on the battery terminal!!!! Vibration from the bike will loosen the post screw unless you get it tight!!!!!
Great advice. Ive already experienced those connections coming loose. I'll change that tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Always a good idea to check the battery. My dad had similar issues with led accessories on his bike too. Long story short the dealer sold him a bad battery and it needed up shorting and catching on fire at one point. New battery and the bike runs fine now

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a problem for about 6 months with my battery.
It would always start, but after riding for a little while, it would not start. After 10_15 minutes it would start. This happened sometimes, I let it sit a little while and it would start. I charged it and also took it to the auto parts. They said it was good. Finally I took a chance and spent $ 80 a new battery at Walmart, now it is great, no problem. I couldn't afford to take it to the shop, so I spent the$ 80 . It was the battery the whole time, even though it would start when I first rode it, just happened when i rode a little then shut it off & tried to start it again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just FYI ,
I don't know what your accessory Box is, but i have also added lights and a stereo on my VTX 1300. But i put them on a separate toggle switch with a fuse. I didn't want to put too much strain on my battery when starting my bike. After starting my bike, I flip my toggle switch to turn on my extra lights and my stereo.
Works for me 👍
Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts