Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Electricity issue

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  epiphysis 
#1 ·
Good afternoon. I come to the gurus seeking some advice on this electrical issue with my 08 VTX 1300.
This is what happened. One morning I charged my motorcycle then drove about 8 miles to work. Some 12 hours later I get off work to start the bike. Turn the key, all systems go, push the starter button, all systems blank with that static sounding noise. No lights anywhere.
I have this accessory bundle on my motorcycle that has 4 LED light strip + 1 small light on each side of the headlight. It also has a stereo.
These have been running on the bike for months and months and months with no issues and the only thing that I did different that day was charged the bike. When it blanks out my battery is at 3.0-4.0. if the bike sits for a while it'll go to 12.6 and it takes a charge to 13.3. Without the accessory box connected it fires right up.
What do you think?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

#4 ·
Charge the battery to full first but then definitely have it 100 amp load tested.

#5 ·
Also did you use a socket and wrench to tighten the screw on the battery post screw or just use a Philips screw driver to tighten it? Also I don't like using plug in terminals for high draw application. I would remove that terminal in the picture and go back to a crimp on ring terminal on the wire and tighten it with a socket or box wrench on the battery terminal!!!! Vibration from the bike will loosen the post screw unless you get it tight!!!!!

#8 ·
I had a problem for about 6 months with my battery.
It would always start, but after riding for a little while, it would not start. After 10_15 minutes it would start. This happened sometimes, I let it sit a little while and it would start. I charged it and also took it to the auto parts. They said it was good. Finally I took a chance and spent $ 80 a new battery at Walmart, now it is great, no problem. I couldn't afford to take it to the shop, so I spent the$ 80 . It was the battery the whole time, even though it would start when I first rode it, just happened when i rode a little then shut it off & tried to start it again.

#9 ·
Just FYI ,
I don't know what your accessory Box is, but i have also added lights and a stereo on my VTX 1300. But i put them on a separate toggle switch with a fuse. I didn't want to put too much strain on my battery when starting my bike. After starting my bike, I flip my toggle switch to turn on my extra lights and my stereo.
Works for me ?
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.