Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted a cry for help in finding the metric equivalent of an SAE wrench size.

This was all in prep for buying a socket to remove the Triple Tree Steering nut on my Shadow Spirit 750.

I was changing out the stock risers for some 8" Scootworks PhatRiser III's. This required the removal of the tree to reroute cables behind the tree to give enough slack for the enormous move up and back. 1 3/4" up and 2 1/2" back.

Got all the info I needed and got the socket purchased..

Below is a Picture account of the install.

ScootWorks PhatRiser III Install ...

First off please excuse the pictures. I was taking them in the barn with the door open or closed. The time of day it was the sun was pouring in the door. I tried black and white and several combinations of color angles and settings, just not good pictures. Either too much light or not enough.

This is a picture account of the install of the PhatRisers. The change is 1 3/4" up and 2 1/2" pull pack. The entire project took about 2 1/2 hours. Did the whole thing alone except for the reinstall of the bars. Had an assistant help me hold them in place while the riser clamps were reset and tightened. Everything went as advertised. Install went off with a hitch. Very unusual for me ....

The result is great. Much better position for the hands and arms. May have to loosen the riser clamps and adjust the bars up or down some for optimum positioning. I did about 10 miles on the bike and really did like the feel. Wife probably won't get her turn until after Thanksgiving. Too much going on tomorrow and the weather is going to turn bad for about a week. So we will have to wait on her true opinion.

Also I am going to have to loosen the clamps and the riser bolts and straighten the bars. The are a little of parallel and I am going to have to lower the left grip level about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Never thought about that. I guess the risers twisted just ever so slightly as I tightened them into place and has the bar out of level. Lesson learned.

Bike on the jack ready for breakdown.

Wheel Strapped

Removal of Tool Bag

Stock Risers

2 Protective Blankets in place - I am really paranoid

Removing clamp bolt inserts

Riser clamps removed and Handle Bars loose and laying on tank

Risers removed and Steering nut removed

Clamp bolts on Triple tree loose and tree being removed

PhatRisers installed • Cables run behind the Triple Tree

·
Registered
276 Posts
one question ?

as you wrote
I was changing out the stock risers for some 8" Scootworks PhatRiser III's.

but what is the total height of your new bar (riser & bar)
it seems the max you can rise, isn't it ?

as I would like to order an APE of 14" or 16 if the cables (brake and clutch) are ok

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
one question ?
as you wrote

but what is the total height of your new bar (riser & bar)it seems the max you can rise, isn't it ?

as I would like to order an APE of 14" or 16 if the cables (brake and clutch) are ok
Jallie - just to make things clear in case you missed it - ( I misinterpret posts all of time • don't read as thoroughly as I should ) this mod is on a 750 Shadow Spirit....

I don't know the exact height. It is just 1 3/4" above the height of the stock riser.

I do believe this is the maximum you can go without having to change cables. The only thing that allowed me to do this exchange was to take the clutch cable out from a guide that is located on the frame down by the brake pedal. The cable did reach with it in this guide but was pretty taught. Sliding it of the guide and putting a plastic zip tie on it to hold it in place away from the exhaust gave me enough play in the cable to relieve any pressure. I think it would have been fine without doing this but I go by "better safe than sorry".

:(..I believe any bar change where the cables are going to have to make a longer reach than these 8" risers will definitely require new cables and wiring...:(

Wires to headlight and turn signal switches will have to be replaced. Your apes will require these mods.

Hope this answers your question.....

750 Mods / Accessories​
Memphis Shades Fats 21” Gradient Black Windshield • Memphis Shades Quick Release Mounting Kit • Memphis Shades Lowers-Black / Mounting Kit •• Cobra Light Bar • Freeway Bar • Sissy bar • Plain Insert • Luggage Rack • Honda OEM Driver Foot Pegs VTX 1800C3 model •• Lazy Rider Small Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen Cruiser Large Tool Bag • Shock Cutaway Saddlebags •• Vance and Hines Cruzer Dual Exhaust •• WhyPush “Tribal Flame” Air Box / K&N Filter •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips • Kuryakyn Throttle Boss •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Avon Venom 180 - 90/90 tires •• Robert Doerr Custom Seat Mod with graphic •• ButtyBuddy auxillary seat •• Clocks4bikes Clock • Clocks4bikes Thermometer •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator •• Phat Riser III for 750 Spirit •• Big Bike Parts Drive Shaft Cover • Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim • Kisan Signal Minder • Kuryakyn Carburetor Jet Kit •• Evoline Wayer Helmet •• Cardo Intercom Scala G4 Powerset-Q2 Multiset • Gremlin Bell • ToolKit • Xena XX-6 Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn….

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I have the 4" risers on the X from scootworks. Made a huge difference. Now I'm chillin in the Mustang seat with the bars pulled back. The ones you installed on the 750 are huge!! I'm surprised the cables reached.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much. I was fixing to get new bars, and all the other parts until i saw what you did. my question is did you use the HD or the Victury risers?

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much. I was fixing to get new bars, and all the other parts until i saw what you did. my question is did you use the HD or the Victury risers?
From the Scootworks website ... check about 1/2 way down the page after you click on the link below and look for " PhatRisers III™ for Spirit 750 and Shadow RS ".

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/page=partshonhandle.htm/SID=PUT_SID_HERE

They have really worked out well. Are very comfortable. Great for the wife ( her ride ) and very perfect for me when I take the saddle on the Spirit.

·
Super Moderator
9,925 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe. Be careful in revisting old threads. This one was over 2 years old so you might not get an answer from the original poster in some cases. In this case RJTMAC is still around the Cafe. To answer your question, if I understand it - he used neither HD nor Victury (sic). He used Scootworks PhatRiser III's.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts