Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just want to thank all for there replies. And a Huge Thank-you to Donut Doug for taking me through this successfuly. And getting me back in action. I had a few contributing gremlins causing this condition, but the ECM was playing a major hidden role. Thanks again, !x Bike was running fine. Now if I roll on it It feels like Im hitting the stop switch for a second then flipping it back on. I have checked the ecm wires and cleaned every connection I can find. The plugs are blacker than they normal are and after I made it home I pulled them and the rear left was the worst . Still a touch wet.. is the rear coil suppose to have a ground on the mounting bolts? ( mine doesn't)
1) how can I take the wire and connection safely out of the ecm to make a new connection
2) could a relay act intermittently like this?
3) I'm baffled, I was really hopeing for a visibly broken wire but I don't see any.

All help is appreciated to get me back on the road .
Many Thanks!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Those ECM wires can be broken on the inside and look perfectly fine on the outside...Pull the seat off and start the bike...Then wiggle those wires at the ECM and see if it cuts out or dies...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you for replying! I Tried moving the wires and nothing happened. I have a plausible theory, that I am dumping to much fuel, because I had to mount the spike cleaner on backwards because it was sucking in water. So I'm not getting the air it had when facing forward. Although I did drop a jet size I think I'm shimmed to high because I can close the A/F and she will keep running.
What's your thought on that?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I think it would've helped to know that from the start....I have no experience with that style air filter, and will also be the first to admit I'm not a carb expert, nor do I pretend to be (like some others on here), so I'm not gonna give you what could possibly be bad advice...Charlie D is one of the guys here that can tune a VTX carb blindfolded..Either PM, or he might check in on this thread and respond himself....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys.. sorry for not replying sooner, stupid phone! Anyway I removed all the shims except one of the tiniest ones. Removed the spike assembly completely, went to autozone and bought the six inch round spectra aircleaner and it fit directly on the carb. Bike pulls strong no deceleration popping. But will keep running with A/F. Closed.Right now I have a 58 & 220. I'll remove the shim and see if it can be killed by closing the A/F. If not then ill try the 215. By the way I am using the original needle. My FP got bent somehow. I'll let you know the final setup . Thanks to you both for your help.
Bike was running fine. Now if I roll on it It feels like Im hitting the stop switch for a second then flipping it back on. I have checked the ecm wires and cleaned every connection I can find. The plugs are blacker than they normal are and after I made it home I pulled them and the rear left was the worst . Still a touch wet.. is the rear coil suppose to have a ground on the mounting bolts? ( mine doesn't)
1) how can I take the wire and connection safely out of the ecm to make a new connection
2) could a relay act intermittently like this?
3) I'm baffled, I was really hopeing for a visibly broken wire but I don't see any.

All help is appreciated to get me back on the road .
Many Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts