Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? I could be wrong but it seems to have gotten louder recently or maybe I'm just focusing more on it. Seems to run great but the noise has me concerned. I have had the VTX for only a short time and never really paid attention to the engine noise, but last night after a long ride I really noticed in the quiet of my garage the high pitch whirring coming from the engine. Wish I could describe the sound better but basically it reminds me of when a bearing starts going out on a wheel. Most noticeable of course when at idle and the sound of the exhaust is low.

Am I just being a VTX noob?

·
Registered
528 Posts
The cooling fan makes a noise like that. Is the fan running?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so (we are still waiting for Spring, let alone Summer to arrive here), but I will check next time. Does the fan noise change when the throttle is twisted? This noise is definitely tied to the engine revving.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The fan wouldn't change with engine rpm, my next guess would be valves. Have the valve clearances been checked?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No they haven't. Sounds like I should run it by the dealer and have them take a look (listen). I should probably note that the bike only has about 2500 miles on it and I have the paperwork from the previous owner that shows that the Honda dealer did the 600 mile service.

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
if the noise youre trying to describe sounds like a loud sewing machine...thats normal and nothing to worry about. these engines are notoriously noisy...especially the valve chatter. no noise would mean the valves were too tight...possibly bending or mashing one. you will get used to the sound...just the "nature of the beast"

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
ticking or whirring....ticking is the valves talking (which is what you want)...whirring sounds in my guess would sound more like a vacum loss somewhere, but that's a guess and when i've witnessed whirring noises they always seem to be a vacum leak somewhere...good luck with it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, "a large sewing machine" probably best describes it. But I may just run by the dealer just so I can have peace of mind. Or if I run into another VTX rider I will take a listen their bike.

Thanks!

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Mine does that too. I've always thought it was the air intake making kind of a highpitched sucking sound.
that could be it as well and it wouldn't have to be vacum loss or leak...i thought i mentioned that in my first post but didn't.....i hate when i think i'm ahead as i'm typing and forget to type stuff...LOL...

but yeah, the whirring sounds i've always found or usually either air leaks or loss, or the intake noise...

Hmmm, "a large sewing machine" probably best describes it. But I may just run by the dealer just so I can have peace of mind. Or if I run into another VTX rider I will take a listen their bike.

Thanks!
and that is possibly the valves most likely....a fast tick like the needle holder hitting the flat plat of the sewing machine...

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I know the sound he's talking about....It's 100% normal...My old '76 Goldwing made the same sound, and I've heard custom bikes with S&S engines making the same sound...It's just the sound of a bike engine...Hard to explain really, and apparently some of you guys aren't able to hear it for some reason...:hmm2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Whirring Sound

Hey , mine has had that sound for the last 15,000 miles.
I agree with Knightrook, they do tend to be a bit noisey. I really dont notice it anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts