Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone help me cure my paranoia!! I did my own valve adjustment (16K mile), not once, but 3 times in the last 2 months!!! I can hear faint clicking not only during idle, but while riding (sounds like a loose bolt rattling). Even after 2 more checks, the valves seem to be correctly adjusted.

I never heard this sound before....dealer did the 600 and 8K mile. The rocker arms would hardly move at my first attempt...I assume this meant the valves were overly tight.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
Ya know, I had the dealer adjsut my valves at 8,000 and I thought mine sounded a bit different too. Kinda like you said, a bit of clicking, not bad or anything, but noticeable.

I hope someone chimes in with some "technical" info on this one....you got me thinking...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scooter Charlie posted this on another valve question

A tapping noise coming from a modern car engine with a hydraulic (self-adjusting) valve train probably means that there's a problem. However, the torque and responsiveness you enjoy in your 1300 is partly due to its solid (non-hydraulic) valve system. Solid valve mechanisms are often used on high performance engines with the accompanying risk that valves that don't close and seal off completely will eventually burn ($$$). The common term for this condition is that the valves are "tight". I know, its confusing. Valves tend to "tighten" over time as the valve and seat wear normally. This causes the end of the valve stem to rise slightly higher as the valve closes. If there's no "clearance" between the rocker and the end of the valve stem, the valves will not close completely and will be burned by the leaking combustion gas. Unfortunately, this lack of clearance can fool the unknowing into thinking that since the valves are quiet, they should be left alone. The contrary is true! Non-hydraulic valves are actually happier if they're making just a little noise. That is a sign that the rocker arms are lifting completely off the valve stems when the valve is in the closed position. If there's no ticking or tapping on the end of the valve stem, its likely because the valve isn't closing fully.

If you hear a 1300 owner say that the engine was tapping when it was new but became quieter as it "broke in" please show him this post and advise him to have the valves adjusted. Tapping, as long as it isn't excessive, is in fact normal and healthy.

If you know how to do it or are willing to learn, great. Put the $250 or so in the bank. If not, $250 is cheap compared to the cost of a valve job.[

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
yes the clicking is normal.

if you didn't hear them after the 600 or 8000 mile it is because they charged you for it but never did them.
nice way to earn extra cash if you know what I am saying.

good synthetic oil helps some with the tic.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
A tapping noise coming from a modern car engine with a hydraulic (self-adjusting) valve train probably means that there's a problem. However, the torque and responsiveness you enjoy in your 1300 is partly due to its solid (non-hydraulic) valve system. Solid valve mechanisms are often used on high performance engines with the accompanying risk that valves that don't close and seal off completely will eventually burn ($$$). The common term for this condition is that the valves are "tight". I know, its confusing. Valves tend to "tighten" over time as the valve and seat wear normally. This causes the end of the valve stem to rise slightly higher as the valve closes. If there's no "clearance" between the rocker and the end of the valve stem, the valves will not close completely and will be burned by the leaking combustion gas. Unfortunately, this lack of clearance can fool the unknowing into thinking that since the valves are quiet, they should be left alone. The contrary is true! Non-hydraulic valves are actually happier if they're making just a little noise. That is a sign that the rocker arms are lifting completely off the valve stems when the valve is in the closed position. If there's no ticking or tapping on the end of the valve stem, its likely because the valve isn't closing fully.

If you hear a 1300 owner say that the engine was tapping when it was new but became quieter as it "broke in" please show him this post and advise him to have the valves adjusted. Tapping, as long as it isn't excessive, is in fact normal and healthy.

If you know how to do it or are willing to learn, great. Put the $250 or so in the bank. If not, $250 is cheap compared to the cost of a valve job.[
Well, that sums it up for me. I really thought it sounded a bit click-e-r when it was new also.

if you didn't hear them after the 600 or 8000 mile it is because they charged you for it but never did them.
nice way to earn extra cash if you know what I am saying.

good synthetic oil helps some with the tic.
I guess they did mine, Becuase I noticed a difference. By the way. G&C Honda in Shreveport, LA has taken good care of me to date.

Just thought I would give a shout out. All to often we hear horror stories about the dealers, and not anything good.

M-2

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts

nice way to earn extra cash if you know what I am saying..
+1...They're supposed to be making some noise...

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts