Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First of all, sorry if that problem has been described before, but I couldn't find it through search engine.
I bought my 2008 VTX with 0 miles on it so I am breaking-in her in (more than 300 miles done right now). For the last couple weeks I noticed that the engine randomly stalls/chokes from time to time. It happens everywhere and at every speed but seems to be happening more often at lower revs. Did anyone meet such problem before or know what problem it can be?

Cheers,
orety

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Do you use the choke when starting it???, If so make sure that it's getting pushed all the way back in...this happened to a friend of mines bike 1300 R and thats what it was...His choke wire wasn't seated right in the carb somehow and the choke wasn't going all the way back in after using it...

Also check the EMC wires on top of the battery, and battery cables...if none of those help...I dunno!

Good Luck :cheers:

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,449 Posts
if it happens at lower revs, like when you stop....you may have to increase the idle......look under the air box, on the right side of the bike, you will see a black knob......with the bike on, gently rotate the knob until you hear the idle increase.......I would also run some sea foam thru the bike...add it to your gas tank.....may clean up some stuff the carb has in it from sitting for a while.......I do that 2 or 3 times a year anyway......then you should do a search for the a/f screw and find out how it functions...that may be another issue for you

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for quick reply and cograts :)
I will check connections at battery then.
I start it on choke "on" and keep it for several minutes putting knob to "off" gradually as it warms up for pretty long (close to 4C degrees at the mornings and evenings). When it is warmed up, it works stable, even on idle. I will try some fuel system cleaner as Sea Foam is unavailable in UK. I am taking it to the first service in about 300 miles, then I will tell them about problem, up that time I'd sleep better knowing it's not something serious as Honda's warranty doesn't apply to this bike anymore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you are spending that much time with the choke on then take the advice above of doing some research on the a/f screw. Not sure if that is the only problem but it sure sounds like you need to adjust it.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Couple things to look at:

1) Spark Plugs - Using the choke that much will foul them out. The "Choke" is not actually a choke, its an Enricher.. All an enricher does it dump fuel into the carb making it run really rich, which can foul your plugs.

2) Battery Terminals. These can come loose and cause what you're describing.

3) Vaccum Line going to Petcock. This could have a leak in it and occasionally stop "pulling open" the diaphram to let fuel flow.

4) ECM Wires - specifically the Green and Black wire. See if they are cracked or otherwise damaged.

Good Luck!

-Gonz

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I agree with the guys above, it sounds like the a/f dial (knob) under the aircleaner needs to be adjusted. I had the same issue and the dealer didn't bother to tell me there was an easy adjustment.
Just turn it a little until the idle goes up a bit and see if that helps.
and yes....from those who tell you to clean the plug - excellent idea. I remember my was really fouled from using the 'choke' or enricher too much, too often.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
using the choke you have foulrd your plugs.take them and clean them.after you put more miles on it turn your a/f screw out 1/4 to 1/2 out.i have never needed the choke since i did that.will start without choke evenin the 30's.thank's to charlie telling me.adjust your a/f screw when you do the 600 mile service.since you'll have the tank off to adjust valves.some poeple don't think it's necessary to adjust valves then,but i had 3 that were tight.best to do it so you'll know for sure.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
If you are using your choke to start it, check your plugs, you have probably fouled them..One you start it, and you get going..reach down and make sure the choke knob is still seated all the way in, and check it occasionally....you should with a slight turn of the AF screw be able to start that bike and never touch the choke...You actaully wanna forget the choke is even there....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all of you.
I will let you know about results.
I hope I didn't do anything serious to the engine keeping it on choke for 5 minutes or so.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Thanks to all of you.
I will let you know about results.
I hope I didn't do anything serious to the engine keeping it on choke for 5 minutes or so.

Nah you didn't do anything...but I bet if you are using it for 5 mins your plugs are fouled...change them...and forget the choke is there...and keep checking to make sure it's all the way in...you don't want it coming back out at all...

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I'd sleep better knowing it's not something serious as Honda's warranty doesn't apply to this bike anymore.
How long have you owned the bike??...You stated only having about 300 miles on it now...Honda's standard warranty is ONE year from date of purchase, unlimited mileage...Doesn't matter how long it sat at the dealership...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long have you owned the bike??...You stated only having about 300 miles on it now...Honda's standard warranty is ONE year from date of purchase, unlimited mileage...Doesn't matter how long it sat at the dealership...
2 months now, didn't have much time to ride it.
I bought it from independent motorbike dealer, not from Honda Dealership what makes the bike a second hand one with 0 miles on it. Dealer bought it from Honda Dealership which was closing down bussiness, so effectively it's 2008 reg. Price according to age though.
In UK Honda gives 2 years warranty on the bikes they sell at Honda Dealership points but the condition is to service it at certain moments in time. Failing service makes warranty void.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
2 months now, didn't have much time to ride it.
I bought it from independent motorbike dealer, not from Honda Dealership what makes the bike a second hand one with 0 miles on it. Dealer bought it from Honda Dealership which was closing down bussiness, so effectively it's 2008 reg. Price according to age though.
If the bike had never been registered (titled) you may have the full warranty.

there are still 2007 bikes being sold here and they still get the full factory warranty.

You just need some minor adjustments and your bike will be fine, limit the use of the choke to the 30 seconds Honda has in the startup procedure and all should be fine.
there should be a book behind the left side cover and it will cover things you need to know.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the bike had never been registered (titled) you may have the full warranty.

there are still 2007 bikes being sold here and they still get the full factory warranty.

You just need some minor adjustments and your bike will be fine, limit the use of the choke to the 30 seconds Honda has in the startup procedure and all should be fine.
there should be a book behind the left side cover and it will cover things you need to know.
Unfortunately it'd been registered 01.01.2009.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Come back and let us know what is happening. Have you gotten the problem corrected? Is the bike idleing fast enough, vent line on fuel tank open? Does it shut down at certain intervals or just random times or what? Give us more input and we will offer more suggestiong. Hope you have it corrected and riding.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
You might need to raise the idle up a little. Also be careful using the choke it can be your enemy. I strongly recommend you install Glen's A/F adjuster. Or at-least open up your A/F to 2 1/2 turns.

Donut :patriot:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello again short brake,
Finaly I have some time to take a look at the problem properly.
I have 2 trivial questions in fact:
1. What's the size of spark plug wrench? As the tools for the bike have not been provided, I have to buy it.
2. I understand A/F valve is something different to idle adjuster, is that so?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts