Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G’day all, need some advice, I have a 2003 vtx 1300s and am looking to replace the motor with a secondhand one, there are a few that come on the market here in Oz, and was just wondering how comparable the motors are across years/models (s, r, c), a later year with lower km/miles would be better, but interested to know if they can be swapped out, cheers

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
2003 to 2009 are the same (1300)... regardless of model.. S,R,C...

2010 is fuel injected... and a lot of work to make do on the older bike..

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,135 Posts
As stated all motors the same. What is wrong with yours?? Engine failures are very rare.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Silver F and IndyX, I have developed a top end oil leak and to diagnose the problem the dealer here would need to remove the engine and that could cost $750-1k, plus plus, I have 56,000 miles on this motor and can get a 2008 with 2,000 miles for $350 plus freight, so I was thinking to remove the motor following the manual with the help of a mate with a few more mechanical smarts than me, and hopefully it’s fixable and I will have a spare for later, or if not fixable than swap.

ps I got the bike with 6000 miles from an American in Oz who imported the bike, his brother worked for Honda in Milwaukee, cheers

·
Registered
17,599 Posts
My 2 c, sounds like you already have your parts bike, snap up that other one and use what parts you need from your current ride.

Reactions: mjklaser

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
My 2 c, sounds like you already have your parts bike, snap up that other one and use what parts you need from your current ride.
I read it as he was getting just the motor for $350... could be just me reading into it wrong... :shrug:

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I read it as a used engine for 350.....

if you got a buddy.. pull yours out and fix the oil leak..... way cheaper...

if one of you 2... are anything with a wrench... that leak is fixed in a weekend...

save the 350,,, and whatever the dealer would charge..

my opinion.

50 dollars in seals / gaskets and a few beers AFTER the fix...

·
Registered
17,599 Posts
I read it as he was getting just the motor for $350... could be just me reading into it wrong... :shrug:
You're right, I was reading too fast. My bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mike, don’t know if you remember me, sourced those marine scoups for your air intake mods, hope all well, cheers Tony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the advice, I think I might try fixing now and go with another motor if it doesn’t work, as Silver F suggests, might save some coin, cheers Tony

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Hey Mike, don’t know if you remember me, sourced those marine scoups for your air intake mods, hope all well, cheers Tony
Hey, Tony... it's Mark! ...Yessir, I do remember... thank you! I never got any further than this with it, though (see below)... sometimes life gets in the way... I've been thinking of doing some experiments with my jetting this year, so maybe I'll get back to those monster Scoops and give 'em a try... all I need is time! :doh: :glee:

Just wanted to share with y'all... I have not done a thing with the Aries-III scoops since my last posts - zero progress - but, parked motorcycle syndrome made me want to preview how the bigass scoops will look on the bike when they're finished, so I just tacked them in place, as-is, with two of the cover bolts and took a couple of quick pics, since it was nice out today... here ya go:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts