Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to mechanics. I had just changed the oil in my 2005 VTX 1300S. I didn't realize there were 2 oil plugs. The amount of oil that came out seemed low. I put 3 qts in and like an idiot, assumed all would be fine. As I drove down the street I heard a little backfiring, but didn't think much of it. I got on the freeway and made it a mile before the engine died and I came to a coasting stop. I tried to start it, and it cranks, but won't turn over. I got it back to my friend's and checked the oil and it was not only too high but still black as night. I have since pulled both oil plugs to make sure I got it all, and replaced it with more new oil. Still cranks but won't turn over. Replaced all spark plugs. Same result. It ran fine before. I am at a loss. New oil, new plugs, relatively new battery. Please help

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you have not done so yet, check the Air Cleaner (on the right side of the engine) to see if it has been clogged by oil. If it is you will need to change the air filter. The problem has to be either electrical, fuel related or air intake related.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Cranks, but won't turn over = Same Thing.

Not Firing - is what it's not.

Make sure battery is on the charger - fully charged before more cranking causes other problems.

As Cal mentioned - aircleaner check.
Leave it off till started.
Check Vacuum & Fuel lines to tank valve - verify fuel is getting to carb.
Check fuel - drain the carb at drain screw - capture and inspect - no water drops in it.

Possible it ingested oil into the carb.

Plugs - were not wet at all when pulled?

You only need 3 things to make it run - Spark - Fuel - Air/Compression.

Pull one plug each - crank it over to see spark - while plug rests against engine for ground.

It should be running by now.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Cranks, but won't turn over = Same Thing.

Ditto..If it's cranking, it's turning over...

How much gas in the tank??..Petcock in "on" position??...Did you try it on "reserve" position??...

An engine needs three things to operate..Air, fuel, and spark...Figure out which one you're not getting and go from there...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said, I'm a novice. I figured cranking was movement in the cylinders while attempting to start, and turning over meant actually starting. But thanks for the advice all. Hopefully, I'll get this running today.

·
33,457 Posts
Did you have the gas tank off??...Petcock vacuum line may have came off at the "T" under the tank...That line supplies vacuum to the petcock to open it and supply fuel to the carb...Very common for it to come off and you run out of fuel rather quickly...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have the gas tank off??...Petcock vacuum line may have came off at the "T" under the tank...That line supplies vacuum to the petcock to open it and supply fuel to the carb...Very common for it to come off and you run out of fuel rather quickly...

That was actually the first thing I checked when the engine died. I've done it once or twice (left it off) and there's a sputtering to let you know "Hey shithead, turn the gas on", but this happened at 70 mph, went from running to not. Gas still in the tank. I have always used premium before, and a friend told me I definitely didn't have to, so for the first time since I owned it, I used regular when I filled up the day before. I figured it was a coincidence. That wouldn't do anything, would it?

·
33,457 Posts
Nope...Bike was designed to run on 87 octane...Running premium is a waste of $$ and the bike will run better and get better mileage on 87...High octane does not equal more power...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Air cleaner-Check
Gasoline/Carb-Check
No spark in the front or the rear (brand new) plugs
Find it hard to believe that both front and rear distributors would go out at the same time. So the the problem comes before them. I appreciate all the help!!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
have you had the tank off.
Make sure the little vacuum hose is connected left side rear of petcock.
Petcock.
up is reserve
forward is off.
Down is run.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
Air cleaner-Check
Gasoline/Carb-Check
No spark in the front or the rear (brand new) plugs
Find it hard to believe that both front and rear distributors would go out at the same time. So the the problem comes before them. I appreciate all the help!!
Could a broken wire at the ECM on top of the battery cover cause a lack of spark? If so, it is usually the black or green wires that break at the ECM.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Could a broken wire at the ECM on top of the battery cover cause a lack of spark? If so, it is usually the black or green wires that break at the ECM.

G'day,

Vinish
Don't think so. With a broken wire on ECM it will still start and run.

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
Very strange - what sort of thing, related to overfilling the oil, could cause this?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
if he overfilled the oil, and it got in the carb, into the cylinders fouled the plugs might keep it from firing, has he confirmed he has spark?

·
Ancient Conflicted Genius
304 Posts
I believe he says no spark in the front or rear...

Hey Voice, did you make sure to have the plugs grounded when you checked them? You can't check a plug with it just dangling on the end of the wire, you have to have the metal housing of the spark plug grounded in order to get spark.

It's been a while since I had a running VTX, but what does the safety switch on the kickstand do? Cut out spark but allow it to crank/turn over? Or does it shut off starter and spark? The kickstand safety switch is something that could be affected by an oil change...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe he says no spark in the front or rear...

Hey Voice, did you make sure to have the plugs grounded when you checked them? You can't check a plug with it just dangling on the end of the wire, you have to have the metal housing of the spark plug grounded in order to get spark.

It's been a while since I had a running VTX, but what does the safety switch on the kickstand do? Cut out spark but allow it to crank/turn over? Or does it shut off starter and spark? The kickstand safety switch is something that could be affected by an oil change...

Had them grounded against the side of the block and tried again against the frame to be sure.

Kickstand safety kills the engine only if it is in gear, which it is not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts