Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Ever seen this Cobra passenger floorboard issue before?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  rhe2000 
#1 ·
Finally got warm enough this week in Michigan to hold a wrench, so I installed my new Cobra BLV6-3660 passenger floorboards (link: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/cobra-passenger-floorboards-honda-vtx1800-r-s-t/part/BLV6-3660) on my 2006 1800R. Installation overall was very smooth, but I am concerned that on the exhaust (right) side, the very inside back edge of the floorboard is meeting the stock upper chrome exhaust pipe - maybe even hitting it ... can't be sure. Is there any adjustability to either the footpeg mount or the exhaust pipe to allow for a little bit of clearance? When the floorboard is up, I'd like to never see a ding caused by the floorboard. Or is there a clever "cushion" idea I haven't thought of? Any ideas welcome - you all are a wealth of experience!!!

Attachments

#2 ·
Since the post yesterday, I noted that there are about four reviews of this part on the CruiserCustomizing site that refer to the fact that this part does, in fact, sometimes touch the heatshield on the exhaust. That was exactly my experience. Now a choice ... pick different floorboard (unlikely), make some kind of he-man bend/adjustment to the right footpeg mount (tempting), or find some kind of simple safe non-marring buffer between the two (too bad asbestos went out of fashion). Thinking out loud in front of all of you ... and inviting anyone to chime in.

#6 ·
I'm not sure what is under the chrome but what if you took a grinder or a dremel and grind off some of the floorboard so you have a 1/4" clearance between the surfaces. If you do that make sure you seal it with something so it doesn't rust.

I don't think you will be able to do a "he-man bend" on the floorboard since they are made to be stood on without bending.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.