Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello To All!!

I'm excited to be a new member of the "VTX Cafe". I'm 43, and recently became the proud owner of a 2007 VTX 1300c. In my youth I occasionally rode some of my friends bikes, but never owned my own. Recently the itch returned within my very soul to get my own. After a while of debating (plus good luvin with the wife), I convinced her to back me up with the decision of purchasing my first bike. Soon I signed up for the MSD course and got everything in order. I looked and looked and had a friend assisting me with this search. What would be a good bike for me????? Finally I came across a well kept beautiful bike. It was a black CLEAN 2007 Honda VTX 1300c, with a Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger, Vance and Hines Big Shot Pipes, blue engine light, with 2700 miles on it. It has never seen a touch of rain or snow, and kept in a heated gargage. I live in Indianapolis, and drove to Kentucky to get it. I've had it for roughly a month now, and only had the opportunity to ride it twice before storing it in my garage for the winter. I'm like a new father gazing at his first born child. So proud, and can't wait till the spring to go outside and play with my child! :icon_mrha I'm presently looking into some accessories such as grips, throttle boss, new mirrors,..etc So,..VTX Family,....any suggestions or comments??

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
Welcome to the cafe, Be careful of what you ask for LOL ("I'm presently looking into some accessories such as grips, throttle boss, new mirrors,..etc So,..VTX Family,....any suggestions or comments??") omg, just open your wallet because you'll get lots of help finding tems you never thought you needed! LOL!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
welcome to the cafe from New York, klongii. I returned to riding with my vtx this May after a ten year break in riding. I know how you are feeling with the sense of owning a beautiful machine. I still look at my X, and when i'm out and about i try to park where i can keep an eye on it. It's a great bike, and with the exhaust, hypercharger and lights you are off to a good start. Many riders here like to use either windshields or fairings, batwings. If using fairings, then stereo players and speakers come also. You wont need tires yet, but thats another whole deal in itself what with using car tires on the rear or oversize mc tires on the rear. I'm not even scratching the surface tho, and i will leave the rest for you to gladly discover. Enjoy and ride safe if you get it out on the roads anytime soon. Winter is hitting all over pretty hard.
Bry:choppersm

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from South Georgia; :patriot: I hope you have a high dollar limit on your credit cards! :D

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I'm presently looking into some accessories such as grips, throttle boss, new mirrors,..etc So,..VTX Family,....any suggestions or comments??
Welcome to the Cafe!

You got some good people up there in Indy.. We had a Meet & Greet in Indy back in September.. Think over 60 bikes were counted.

As far as buying stuff, yeah, theres plenty to look at.. I would, however, highly recommend asking around before making Big purchases. If its available for the VTX, someone here probably has already bought it and can tell you wether or not they would buy it again.

Theres lots to read here. If you're handy with a wrench, you can do all your own maintenance and spend the money on goodies instead.

-Gonz

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
welcome....and congrats on the new ride......here's my advice......first of all, be careful....it's too easy to get hurt..when the weather gets better...take it to a parking lot and practice, practice, practice.......get into a Motorcycle Safety Course......learn how to ride safe! find some folks , and there are plenty in this forum, from your area and ride with them.........suggestion...when you go thru the forum and see someone from your area...hit their name and send them a private message...they will respond and you can get together and ride ........read as much as you can here and you will learn more than you knew you could and spend more than you thought you would!!!! :mosh:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You all for you welcoming comments. n0body7o stated, "Be careful changing out your stock mirrors, most hate the aftermarket ones after they change them out....Most aftermarket ones vibrate VERY bad...."

So what brand would you suggest?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe! :mosh::choppersm:cheers:

Welcome to the cafe from Georgia!!!!!

Be careful changing out your stock mirrors, most hate the aftermarket ones after they change them out....Most aftermarket ones vibrate VERY bad....

:choppersm
She is definitely right. I have aftermarket mirrors, and they are pretty much unusable. I am not sure if there is a brand that is out there that is better than the ones that i have.:nope:

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Thank You all for you welcoming comments. n0body7o stated, "Be careful changing out your stock mirrors, most hate the aftermarket ones after they change them out....Most aftermarket ones vibrate VERY bad...."

So what brand would you suggest?

Honestly, most that change end up going back to the stock ones...I didn't care for the look of the ones on my 09 1300 C...so I traded someone for a set of the oval ones and they looked much better...My 1800F has the Kuryakyn turn signal mirrors on it...they are useless as far as mirrors, but the turn signal function works....I have just gotten used to riding w/o mirrors now...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i am the same way angel...i have just gotten used to not using them, just have them there to keep it legal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all again for the warm welcomes. I will keep reading on the best accessories for my bike. I have my finger on the trigger of my credit card when I find the best ones. One thing that I dont want to do is to, "over do it". Sometimes simple is better,...but I surely will add some things. Is there any suggested websites that have excellent prices?

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
denniskirk.com
phatperformanceparts.com
bikerhaven.net
jafrum.com

and you can always check ebay...

Biggest thing is some places are cheaper than others, but they charge more shipping... So, pay attention to the Shipping and the Final Price, not so much the Price of the Part.

Also, classifieds here.. some people part out their bikes before selling them (you will make more that way... which is why you always keep your stock parts).

-Gonz

-Gonz

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Welome to the Cafe from Pennsylvania.
I use BikeMaster Sickle Mirrors and they don't seem to be any worse than the stock mirrors wrt vibration. They use an adapter nut that attaches to the mirror first, then it screws into the socket on the bars. My 2cents worth.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
Thank you all again for the warm welcomes. I will keep reading on the best accessories for my bike. I have my finger on the trigger of my credit card when I find the best ones. One thing that I dont want to do is to, "over do it". Sometimes simple is better,...but I surely will add some things. Is there any suggested websites that have excellent prices?
I'm not not sure what "overdoing it means". I need help so badly.....:icon_yike:icon_yike:icon_yike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts