Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As everyone on this site has done, I've come to a dilemma, and am hoping for some assistance here. I've had my 1300 R for about a year now, and love it. I've already done the Clayton Mod (drilled out) exhaust with 7 1/2" holes in each pipe. After about 1000 miles its working good for a free fix, but I want something more. The woman has even given support saying she also wants a deeper, louder, throatier exhaust noise when we tear down the street. I've narrowed it down to a couple of options, based on looks. I was wondering if anyone on here had the pipes below, and could offer any pros and cons to the performance, clearance, potential blue'ing of each. Best case, possibly upload a sound bite of them running on a 1300? This would help me from a costly trial and error process. Would also like to know if carb re-jetting would be required for any of these.

The pipes in contention are:

Cobra Speedster Long Exhaust
Vance & Hines BigShot Staggered
Samson Classic Exhaust

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
First off, NO carb work needed with just a pipe swap on ANY VTX...And don't let anybody (dealer) tell you any different....

Now as far as your pipe choices, it's hard for me to tell you what you want...I've heard two of those choices in person, and I'll do my best to describe them to you...

Cobra's...Nice deep tone, but not overly loud at all....The quietest of the three you have listed in fact...

Vance & Hines Bigshots...Louder than the Cobra's, and a deep tone, but a little bit on the blatty side...I have these on my ride and love 'em though...

Samson Classic...Haven't heard those in person, but I have heard Samson Warlord's...By far the deepest (tone) pipes I've heard on a 1300, and very loud...Almost too loud for me personally...But they do sound great on somebody else's bike....;)

Here's some you-tube clips of my bike from about a year ago after I installed the V&H...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtyvMCbNWCQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJcmhHVmAoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJcmhHVmAoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5xhwr7z2g

·
Registered
132 Posts
Honestly, I'm not a fan of COBRA. I have them now and they're OK but what really bothers me is that I had an issue with a COBRA item this year and they did absolutely NOTHING to resolve my problem. They didn't even send me a "sorry we cant help you" email. NADA, NOTHING - no response via phone or email. I won't spend another dime on their products.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,421 Posts
you should go to a meet a greet to see and hear pipes live.......I have the HK Sideburners......beautiful pipes, great sound, get lots of complements.........

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links Bass. I'm in China at the moment for work, and their lovely comi-government blocks youtube from the internet services. I'll have to check out the video links you posted, as well as any others i can find when i get home next week.

As far as the M&G's, I've been able to make it to two of them so far. Everytime I saw a set of pipes I liked, they were on an 1800. At the 'Mush Express' M&G last week, was looking at Ray's HK pipes, and liked them, but he said he's had problems with them cracking, gone through a set every couple of years. So that ruled them out instantly.

·
33,457 Posts
Before the Vance & Hines, I had a set of HK Big 3's, and they were cracking on the upper heat sheild also....Big problem with those, and HK customer service is non-existant...

·
Curmudgeon at Large
8,365 Posts
Thanks for the links Bass. I'm in China at the moment for work, and their lovely comi-government blocks youtube from the internet services. I'll have to check out the video links you posted, as well as any others i can find when i get home next week.

As far as the M&G's, I've been able to make it to two of them so far. Everytime I saw a set of pipes I liked, they were on an 1800. At the 'Mush Express' M&G last week, was looking at Ray's HK pipes, and liked them, but he said he's had problems with them cracking, gone through a set every couple of years. So that ruled them out instantly.
Brian, Did you hear mine at the livermush express? I have the Vance and Hines Longshots and they sound great. Like Bass says, they are a little blatty and they are loud but they have a deep rumble that I get a lot of compliments on. They look good too.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i think you can't go wrong with samson myself

i'd buy that set of samson cannons hamp has for sell in a heartbeat if i owned an 1800X

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input guys. After hearing some videos on you-tube, and some comments on here, i went with the Samson's. Found a set at phatperformanceparts.com, they were the only ones that still had the discontinued 'classics' in stock. They look awesome on the display image, and everyone says they are the loudest and deepest. It'll be after thanksgiving before i throw em on the bike, but i'll be sure to post some before and after pics.

Is there anything i should look out for, or stupid tricks for swapping out and exhaust system (other than following the service manual and not scratching anything)?

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Make sure you wipe them down before you fire the bike up all fingerprints and smudges gone or they might "burn" in, get new crush gaskets for them and you might need to put a washer or two on the exhaust studs to get them to tighten up without bottoming out.

Congrats on a great set of pipes.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Be careful as to not cross-thread. I had that problem when I first put my pipes on and noticed I had an exhaust leak. I went to take them off and the whole exhaust stud came out:banghead:

BTW I love my samsons, thinking about investing in some baffles though cause they are loud

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll keep both those experienced ideas in mind when doing the work in a few weeks. I think i'll be happy with the Samsons because i was going for loud, almost to the point of being obnoxious. Helps the old neighbors to keep a tab on when i come and go without the aggravation of having to peek out the window.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have Cobras on mine. Actually have the Drag Pipes (not Dragsters), and they are plenty loud for me. If you put in a shorter baffle, they will scream down the road. I have the baffle that Cobra sends with the pipes and it's plenty loud for me (and I'm hard of hearing!). I've heard many online, but I feel the Cobra has a nice smooth sound and a nice rumble. Even my wife who will not ride, said she liked the sound of them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that we are between holidays, and the visiting familys have moved out again, its time to focus on the mistress in the garage again. I figured while I'm changing the exhaust out, I might as well throw some more goodies on her. I've got a good couple of evenings in the shop planned for new exhaust, luggage rack, fender chromes, and new saddlebags. Ill post some before and after shots when the jobs are all done.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
I have HK's and not a problem at all after 4years, but I noticed the only people who did have probs were the 3" pipes, they sound good, but suffer in quality. I got the 2-1/2" they sound great & quality has still held up for the duration. They're not too loud and don't have a "blatty, or tinny" sound at all. I would suggest listening to folks who have a 1300 as opposed to an 1800 due to the single pin crank engine, there is a big difference. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't have experience with any of the ones you listed. But I did have bub jug huggers on my 1300 and absolutely loved them. Planning on getting a set for the 1800 now as well.

·
33,457 Posts
I have HK's and not a problem at all after 4years, but I noticed the only people who did have probs were the 3" pipes, they sound good, but suffer in quality. I got the 2-1/2" they sound great & quality has still held up for the duration. They're not too loud and don't have a "blatty, or tinny" sound at all. I would suggest listening to folks who have a 1300 as opposed to an 1800 due to the single pin crank engine, there is a big difference. Good luck with whatever you choose.
MR VTX (Jason) had HK K2's and his pipes broke completely in half...Charlie D had the heat shield break off his Sideburner and take a piece of the actual exhaust pipe with it....HK quality issues not limited to just the 3" pipes...

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Not to argue but my HK classic strippers are now 8 seasons old with not a single issue. I'm guessing that like most any mass produced product there is good and bad with them all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts