Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a new VTX 1300C this weekend and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for an exhaust/jetting to let it breatha bit more and give it a deeper "throatier" sound? Any suggestions would be appriciated. I will be commuting on the bike 120-140 miles round trip per day if it helps.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

·
Registered
19 Posts
Scubamike, I also am looking for suggestions on exhaust for a 1300C and found that there is so much out there its hard to decide. I would like to go with slip-ons for 2 reasons cheaper and no re-jet plus you get a good sound. Im leaning toward the Hard krome 2.5" drag slip-ons but would like to hear from others that have them or any other suggestions. Maybe we will get some feedback, I got tons on saddlebags my last post.

Eric

·
Registered
75 Posts
Exhaust

The cheapest way is to modify your current exhaust is the clayton mod. May need to rejet when you do this. I have the hk 2.5's (not slip-ons) no need to rejet unless you change the airbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bubs jug huggers

I have a set of bubs jug hugers and they sound awsome. Also removed the paira valve and rejeted the bike with a stage 1 dynajet kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm running Vance & Hines on my 1800. It's the third set I've bought over the years. I wouldn't run anything else. They're loud but not obnoxious and never had a set blue on me yet.

Chief

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Scuba and Gert, I have the Hardkrome drag slip on, on my bike very easy to install and I have the "throaty" sound that most of us are looking for and you dont have to rejet....I have many people ask "what kinda pipes are they, they sound GREAT"!
Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I am going with the hard krome drag slip-ons. Got the sound and the price thats right for me.

Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exhaust Pipes

Very happy with Vance and Hines Big Shot pipes. I had the re jet done and the sound is great. I also picked up horse power and the gas mileage has improved. I have an X cut air box cover, that allows more air flow. That alone improved the sound, even before I had the pipes installed.

Hal

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Vance & Hines Big Shots they are sweet. The bike sounds awesome and looks really clean with the new pipes. I also added a new air cleaner from Thunder manufacturing and rejetted the bike. I had the local Honda dealer do all the work so warranty still covers everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my C, and am trying to decide what kind of pipes to put on it. I have almost decided on Hardkrome 2.75 Straightshots, but am hoping to hear from people like yourself, and what really sounds good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about Performance?

Most replies say the sound is great and some have re-jetted and changed the airbox. Can anyone describe or quantify the performance changes? I agree the factory pipe sound is somewhat tame (but not bad). I'd only make the exhaust and other changes to get better performance, either power and/or MPG. What do y'all think? :hmm2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is the average price the dealer is charging to install a jet kit for the 1300? Labor and parts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Modify your stock Exhaust. Who's done it?

I'm a cheapskate, so I tried the drilling mod to my stock pipes and love it.
I drilled 7 holes in each pipe's rear baffle, all 1/2" holes in case I drilled too much and needed to insert a 1/2-in bolt to undo it, but didn't have to.
(this is not my idea, I read it in tips)

The sound is much deeper....brings out the loping rumble from that single crank pin. It's also louder but far from obnoxious. Rumble turns to a low roar when I throttle harder. I got to keep the better quality stock pipes without spending more than a few bucks for the drill bit. No re-jetting needed.

If anyone had the guts to drill THROUGH the rear baffle into the next baffle I would like to know the results. I've been temped to do it (using a 12" bit), but can't undo whatever happens. I know it would be louder, but might start sounding too poppy. I wouldn't want to do this unless I know someone else has had good results, or if I plan to replace the pipes anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a set of cobra slash cuts,a cobra stage one kit,and a k & n filter. I followed the directions on the stage one kit, which said to set the fuel mixture screw at 2 1/2 turns but it didn't run well. So I took it out to 3 turns and it's like a whole new bike. 100mph in 3rd gear,AWESOME power...The slash cuts are great, they are fairly quiet when cruising but when you get on it they bark like a ferocious dog.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out vtxexhaust.com

They modifiy your already cool looking pipes and from what I hear they are the best sounding of all the pipes. And less $$ than others. I am going to have it done this winter.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts