Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know what the exhaust head bolt torque specification is?

I don't have a service manual, but if someone here does and could look it up, I would sure appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As far as drilling the pipes, you'll get bored relatively quick. I started with the Clayton mod and then went to drilling a 1" hole under the existind pipe. Sounded good but I had to mess with it again :spank: and punched out the first plate in the pipe itself. Sounded much better but it has a nasty gurggling sond on decel :icon_redf . Now I'm waiting on my poor man's fix - J.C. Whitney 16" slip-ons. From what I have heard from others, they have a great sound for the bucks :hmm2: . $80.00 for the pair w/shipping. There is a need to do a little fabrication for the top mounting bracket due to the fact that the top muffler sticks out so much farther than the lower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, they have Sideburners for a 1300C. A friend of mine in Fayetteville has them on his C. Haven't had a chance to hear them yet but he says that they sound awesome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Always seem to be late...

I just entered into this forum today so you will have to excuse my very late offering on this. I purchased some slip-on mufflers for my VTX 1300C. Sounds great, easy to install, and were only $189 US. Got them from ********* on the web. Good outfit for VTX parts, and there wasn't anything even remotely close to that price up here in the Great Whire North!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Memphis Fats, or anyone else with experience drilling out the rear baffles. Would you mind sharing more detailed instructions on how to do this as well as long term results from this mod. And is this the "Clayton Mod" that I am reading about?
I am only moderately mechanically inclined and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

·
Can't Touch This!
452 Posts
mark said:
Memphis Fats, or anyone else with experience drilling out the rear baffles. Would you mind sharing more detailed instructions on how to do this as well as long term results from this mod. And is this the "Clayton Mod" that I am reading about?
I am only moderately mechanically inclined and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark
Mark,
I drilled my stock pipes, ala the Clayton Root mod. It's real easy. The only thing I had to buy was a 1/8" x 6" pilot bit. $2.69. I already had a 15/32" bit.
The 15/32" hole is so you can tap it out with a 1/2" tap and put 1/2" bolts in if you want to plug it back up.
I like the mod. The only thing I experience is a few decel backfires when it's cold out - not very often, so it doesn't bother me.
The bike sounds better and I get alot of "Those aren't stock pipes, are they? What did you do?"
I like the looks of the stock pipes and the sound after the mod.
$2.69 and 10 minutes drilling was the cheapest mod I've done.
Due to letting a little more air out, I changed to a K&N filter, to let a little more air in. Seems to work just fine and no re-jetting is necessary.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Hammer, appreciate the info. May go this route, although the slip ons from VTXchoppers look and sound good (at least from their video clip) for a reasonable price.
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Running HK Big 3s on the Green Ghost. Rejeting the carb is really simple. Im also running a Hypercharger with the Stinger Trap Door. This thing really loves the air. 195 main, Go with a 65 low instead of the stock 55. With 8 thousand neddle shim. Turn Idel out 2.5 from bottom. This has my 1300 on fire from Idel to REV limit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My personal opinion when you select pipes is a few criteria, if you are concerned about performance ensure they have a crossover. If you are concerned about sound then select a pipe with removable baffles there are so many aftermarket baffles around that you can make a set of pipes sound almost anyway you want. I get so tired of hearing that this is the best sounding pipe or that is... Well maybe stock they are but most time your not limited to stock. The final and I beleive most important thing is make sure you like the look of the pipes. If you are going with a certain theme make sure it goes with it. In the end it becomes personal preference there are alot of great aftermarket pipe just make sure when spending your hard earned money you are getting what suits you.. :icon_poke

·
Registered
2 Posts
Memphis Fats]I'm a cheapskate????

Memphis Fats said:
I'm a cheapskate, so I tried the drilling mod to my stock pipes and love it.
I drilled 7 holes in each pipe's rear baffle, all 1/2" holes in case I drilled too much and needed to insert a 1/2-in bolt to undo it, but didn't have to.
(this is not my idea, I read it in tips)

Hey,
I prefer to be called frugal lol.
I had drilled holes in a 400cc Honda SS a good many years ago and just loved the change in sound. I was going to do it to a 550 kawi ltd, but I think I decided not too.
I been thinking about doing it to my VTX but had fears of screwing something up. Some where along the lines of back pressure and maybe premature rusting. I remember how much better the 400 ss sounded after I did the drill out. I used 1/4" holes spaced about 1/2" apart in a circular pattern about a 1/2" away from the existing exhaust hole. I think it added up to eight holes.
Memphis (or anyone), has there been any negative results from drilling the holes as of yet????

·
Banned
686 Posts
Some I've heard sounded very "tinny" after drilling out. None had the deep, low, throaty sound most guys are looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds Tinny ?

I can't help but wonder if the tinny sounds are due to the size of the holes, placement or cuz not enough was removed. What say you?
tia
Buqqq

21 - 40 of 53 Posts