Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have asked and posted several times about this but I'm asking again if anyone can help I've been having bad exhaust fumes from my bike mainly when start up and also after riding I smell like fumes all over me it is a 04 VTX 1300 c I have did a lot of work to this bike and I've only had it five months I have replaced the o-ring or seals on the exhaust to the heads I have rejected the carburetor to stage 2 Jets replaced o-rings in the carburetor install air and fuel mix adjuster replaced vacuum piston in the choke chamber I only have to use choke on very cold mornings when it does not want to start so I know I have a little fume when I have to use the choke but normally it starts without choke and let it idle to warm up it is very bad fumes after it warms up and go for a ride you don't notice it but when you sit still idling or park when you're done you still smell all the fumes and it's all over your clothes I do not see any smoke at all except when I first start it up but it's not enough to say that it has smoke from what I can tell it is white smoke with mixture of blue not a lot at all also it has a stock air filter and stock air box also

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Perhaps checking the condition of the sparkplugs (black, soot covered, etc.) might help diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps checking the condition of the sparkplugs (black, soot covered, etc.) might help diagnose the problem.
Thx I've already changed the spark plugs and all and they all look normal about like it should be with black soot but not caked up or anything just normal like a car or trucks spark plugs look

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
what about the carburetor piston diaphragm...

a 16 year old bike.. that diaphragm is paper thin rubber.. and is the number one part of a proper operating carburetor...

perforance junkies replace them every year for maximum performance .

you do NOT operate the carburetor.. vacuum does.
you control the vacuum to the diaphragm..
any cracks/leaks alter its operation, even the rubber getting HARD / Harder.
same with the manifold between the carburetor and cylinder head. micro cracks.

READ MY SIGNATURE.
/ These things have been on motorcycles since the 1970's.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Plugs should not look black, but rather a tan to light chocolate brown. If they are black look for a too rich fuel mixture or perhaps a weak spark.
I missed that part... black is Major for fumes...
black is to rich and is a incomplete burn.... so carb is not working correctly..
16 year old coils, wires, connectors, even bad/rusty ground connections, but this most of the time is a moist black. IF it keeps repeating a "MISS FIRE".

Thanks Sparky.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I suggest bringing it to a dyno tuner. If you don't already, get Glen's Garage permanent A/F screw. Bring that and an assortment of jets and even #4 washers. Let a tuner do the tuning. You said you have a jet kit, is it DynoJet's kit or Factory Pro? If DynoJet, you might benefit from getting a Factory Pro kit (really it's the needle).

You will be able to get it close, but without 02 sensors you will only be close.

My tuner charged me $300-$400 for a dyno tune (as long has I brought the jets). I would have spent a lot more of my time chasing my tail. I've very glad I did it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about the carburetor piston diaphragm...

a 16 year old bike.. that diaphragm is paper thin rubber.. and is the number one part of a proper operating carburetor...

perforance junkies replace them every year for maximum performance .

you do NOT operate the carburetor.. vacuum does.
you control the vacuum to the diaphragm..
any cracks/leaks alter its operation, even the rubber getting HARD / Harder.
same with the manifold between the carburetor and cylinder head. micro cracks.

READ MY SIGNATURE.
/ These things have been on motorcycles since the 1970's.
Thx man but yes I have replaced that also when I did my carburetor work have rejected the carburetor o-ring resealed and replace diaphragm it was cracked so I had to replace it and I did look at the manifold between the motor and the head they were all okay everything still looks good right now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Okay I have asked and posted several times about this but I'm asking again if anyone can help I've been having bad exhaust fumes from my bike mainly when start up and also after riding I smell like fumes all over me it is a 04 VTX 1300 c I have did a lot of work to this bike and I've only had it five months I have replaced the o-ring or seals on the exhaust to the heads I have rejected the carburetor to stage 2 Jets replaced o-rings in the carburetor install air and fuel mix adjuster replaced vacuum piston in the choke chamber I only have to use choke on very cold mornings when it does not want to start so I know I have a little fume when I have to use the choke but normally it starts without choke and let it idle to warm up it is very bad fumes after it warms up and go for a ride you don't notice it but when you sit still idling or park when you're done you still smell all the fumes and it's all over your clothes I do not see any smoke at all except when I first start it up but it's not enough to say that it has smoke from what I can tell it is white smoke with mixture of blue not a lot at all also it has a stock air filter and stock air box also
Maybe your air / fuel mix ?
When i adjusted mine, at one point I was getting strong fume smells and it really stunk up my garage. Its not bad at all now after i adjusted it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You mentioned: "white smoke with mixture of blue".

White Smoke comes from a rich fuel-air mixture or burning radiator fluid.
=> Adjust the carburator (A/F screw) and check radiator fluid level in the reservoir under engine / swingarm.
If the coolant is foamy, oil got into it, ergo the head gasket is blown.

Blue Smoke comes from burning oil.
=> Check oil level (dipstick). Go for a cylinder compression test. Piston rings could be damaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You mentioned: "white smoke with mixture of blue".

White Smoke comes from a rich fuel-air mixture or burning radiator fluid.
=> Adjust the carburator (A/F screw) and check radiator fluid level in the reservoir under engine / swingarm.
If the coolant is foamy, oil got into it, ergo the head gasket is blown.

Blue Smoke comes from burning oil.
=> Check oil level (dipstick). Go for a cylinder compression test. Piston rings could be damaged.
White smoke is an indication of burning coolant, not running rich. Rich mixture would result in black smoke not white. Blue smoke indicates burning oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts