Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
PURE ROCK FURY
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapping out my stock pipes for a set of HK 3's tommorrow(big thanks to one fair shot) and am wondering what is the best way to get the old gaskets out?
Any suggestions?
Thanks Eric

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Some fall out and some you may have to pick out - Sometimes you can look in their and swear there is none in there but it is and sometimes hard to find.
When you put the new pipes on make sure the acorn nut doesn't bottom out before it gets tight - if it dose add a washer under the acorn nut to take up the space.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would just go ahead and add a lock washer. You're going to have slack and also the washer helps keep the acorn from loosening. Hamph

·
Will Haul Fat Chicks
186 Posts
place a flat head screwdriver on the edge of gasket, pop it with hammper a good rap and the crush gasket will deform and come right out. Works like a charm. Do this on opposite ends like 3 o clock and 9 o clock and whalla.

·
PURE ROCK FURY
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks guys...as always this site rocks:mosh:

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
place a flat head screwdriver on the edge of gasket, pop it with hammper a good rap and the crush gasket will deform and come right out. Works like a charm. Do this on opposite ends like 3 o clock and 9 o clock and whalla.
+1 on this. It deforms them enough with just a few light taps they almost just fall out.

·
PURE ROCK FURY
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well pulled of the old pipes and had no problems with the gasket removal however when I took off the acorn nuts all 4 posts came out with them:banghead: soooo now I am waiting for new posts and nuts from the stealer should be in on monday...looks like no ridin for me this weekend:mad:

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Na. Just put the in with some lock tight on them- I don't think there is anything wrong with the old ones.

·
PURE ROCK FURY
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would but those damn HK 3,s are so big I cant get the post thru the flange and in the threads straight.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I would but those damn HK 3,s are so big I cant get the post thru the flange and in the threads straight.
The new studs are still going to the the same.
Make sure you don't tighten any of the mounting bolts/supports down before you tighten the the acorn nuts. Everything needs to be loose.
Front first.

·
PURE ROCK FURY
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The new studs are still going to the the same.
Make sure you don't tighten any of the mounting bolts/supports down before you tighten the the acorn nuts. Everything needs to be loose.
Front first.
Yeah I hear ya but at least I can start the posts and slide the flanges over them...I will try agian tommorrow but I am deathly afraid of crossthreading and causing more of a headache for myself.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Yeah I hear ya but at least I can start the posts and slide the flanges over them...I will try agian tommorrow but I am deathly afraid of crossthreading and causing more of a headache for myself.
Just make sure on all nuts/and bolts you start them by hand and make sure they go in smoothly - turn them as far as you can by hand. And don't be a mussel man when tightening down the nuts - they are only threaded in to aluminum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts