Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Team Orange
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adjusted my valves (with the help of 09VTX1300C and Fuman) last time I was home, after I got it all back together (torn apart for paint) I fired it up and the exhaust sounds totally different. Is this even possible? I could not hear the tapping before, now I can, I know this is normal and not what I'm talking about. The actual exhaust sounds different. The bike still seems to run good. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I take it you had to remount the headers? Did you put in a new crush gasket at that time? You can use smoke or tissue to check for leaks.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
did you remove the par valve also, that will change the sound.
You may have had some of the valves a little on the tight side and now it is running more freely.

Doug

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
He tore it apart (again) for "paint"... Not exactly sure of what got painted, that is why I asked about the headers.

·
Team Orange
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not nessary when doing the valves.
Yes I did remove the exhaust completely (not for the valve adjustment though) this time I did not replace the crush gaskets but there is ZERO popping on decel (I did pair mod long ago) I liked the way it sounded a lot better before the adjustment lol

·
Team Orange
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No I didn't check for any leaks. What it sounds like is one cylinder is louder than the other, cruising at hwy speeds it's more of a pronounced pop-pop-pop instead of a more smooth sound like before. If I'm heavy on the throttle I can't tell a difference but at idle and hwy speeds it's noticeable.

*edit: during this same time I changed the oil and filter, the oil is at the top of the flat part on the dipstick with it not screwed in. Is this to much and maybe causing a weird noise?

·
Team Orange
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll recheck them all when I get home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts