Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Bub Jug Huggers on my VTX 1800C. They were on it when I bought it. I love the look and sound, but on the rare occasion when I wear shorts (like a quick ride to the bank today) I always end up burning my leg on the pipe. Reason is that the pipe runs down and back from the rear cylinder. I noticed a lot of aftermarket pipes go forward from the read cylinder around the transmission and I think that would be way more comfortable.

So my question is, does anyone not mind the burn enough to trade me for a good set of pipes that won't burn me up?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
the burn can get u pretty bad. my brother burned himself on his bubs last summer and still hasnt got all the meat off his rear jug pipel That is one of the reasons why i sent for slip ons.. not only a lot less expensive, but i have never burned myself with the stock honda engine pipes and their heat shields.. Most of the exhausts that wrap around the clutch cover are two into ones i think. Good luck tho, those bub burns are nasty. :icon_eek: bry

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
but if you have them go infront of the transmission you will need to take off the exhaust everytime you check your valves because the pipe blocks the bolts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but if you have them go infront of the transmission you will need to take off the exhaust everytime you check your valves because the pipe blocks the bolts
The Bubs block the lower bolt on the valve check cover anyway. I don't have to remove them completely, but I have to remove the front bolts and loosen the rear.

·
ext440
123 Posts
Don't ride with shorts you won't get burned

Don't ride with shorts fool

Dress for the slide not The ride
or in this case
dress for the heat :stirpot: not the female meat!

whatever you do have fun!!

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts

or in this case

totally agree! not tomention burning yourself having a angry ex profootball russian nurse using a stiff brush and iodine to scrub asphalt out of your legs sucks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know. I was just venting. I can count on one hand how many times I've ridden in shorts. Usually <1 mile away

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts

or in this case

:nono: Unless you wear a full set of racing leathers with the slide pads built in there is no dressing for the slide, plain leather will only get you about 2' further before your down to bare skin to :bleh:
I always say it's not safe to ride being paranoid of a crash... (this is tongue in cheek humor because yes I know all the "but that 2' can scrub off a lot of speed etc etc" lol)

I'd say ride how ever you want to ride, hell in my younger years I used to ride in shorts with no shirt and bare foot to boot :D On long rides I usually wear more layers but for a short run to down the street I'm sure not going to spend 15 minutes getting dressed, I go with what ever I have on at the time. And it's crazy... I've been riding for 30+ years and still have all my body parts intact.

For Cheeseman, If you like the pipes I'd say keep them because usually once you burn yourself once it tends to stick in your mind forever and you probably won't do it twice.

·
Jesus Saves
33 Posts
yeah I say buy wider peg set and roll on or else trade me for my cobras. nothing wrong with them just not as deep at idle, im told.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just learn to never put your right foot down. Problem solved :D
I've actually been getting pretty good at that because I like to hold the rear brake on those steep hills. I've got some good balance on the vtx, so in town I rarely put my brake foot down.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OTRA: The problem with never putting the right foot down is sometimes I sit for a while at traffic lights or in traffic. With the MTC clutch fully shimmed, the clutch hand gets very tired so I tend to put it in neutral. I am not going to chance lifting my shift foot off the ground to put it back into gear with the brake foot on the floor board :).

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I've HardKrome K2's on my 1300. They wrap around and burnt me really good one time. I learned to wear jeans EVERY time since. Except for the time I was in a big hurry.....was very careful of my leg placement and didn't get burnt bet didn't enjoy the ride much. Hope to not do it again.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
That putting the bike in N is a bad habit. If someone is coming up on your rear you can't get out of the way to avoid being hit. There's a time lag between your brain and the feet so by the time you can get it back in gear the damage may be done. Better to wear long pants and building up your hand muscles. The spring trainers or squeezing a tennis ball will help you out in that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That putting the bike in N is a bad habit. If someone is coming up on your rear you can't get out of the way to avoid being hit. There's a time lag between your brain and the feet so by the time you can get it back in gear the damage may be done. Better to wear long pants and building up your hand muscles. The spring trainers or squeezing a tennis ball will help you out in that.
I'm not talking about sitting at a red light with no one behind me. I'm talking about sitting at a traffic light with 10 cars stopped in front of me and 30 behind me. Or in stopped rush hour traffic that isn't moving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts