Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Factory Jet Kit Install

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  IndyX 
#1 ·
Sooo...

Here we go again.

I just installed the jet kit on the 1300 s, she was backfiring a bit at after the new engine installation.

So i changed the intake boots because they were leaking and it seemed to be the perfect time to rejet the carb.

But here is the problem.

It is dying quickly.

I have NOT road tested her at all.

I do not know if it is because the weather is below 32 degrees or if it is because there was no fuel in the float bowl. But i could not keep her going without using the choke. And by the time i did she seemed to be really hot, no the light did not come on, just the pipes were hot.

I used the 215 jet and did the 2.5 turns (not quite sure on that one).

Any suggestions. Or should i just give it a moment?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
What type of air intake are you using? Decap? Aftermarket kit?

Your jetting needs to match the intake if you still have stock intake your way too rich right now.

Did you switch the pilot jet to the one in the kit?
Are you using kit needle? What clip you set it on?

We need to know these things to help ya. :)

Your perfectly fine using factory parts @ 2.5 turns if using stock air.
Need someone smarter than me to advise jets for stock air but it will be smaller like a 205 maybe.

#3 ·
I think i found the problem. See picture i found.

That is not how i did mine. I put the clips on the other end, the 4th one out.

Will try flipping it around tomorrow. That may be a quick fix.

#4 ·
Yea always measure from the blunt end. :)

So what type of air intake are you using?

#5 ·
factory with a k&N air filter

I have an aftermarket exhaust

and pair removal

#6 ·
215 seems way too rich for stock air, I run that with a decap.

I think factory is 195? so you want to stay pretty close to that.

Remember that exhaust means nothing for these bikes on jetting, benefits of liquid cooling. :)

#8 ·
Thanks Charlie...

I fixed the needle today and man what a difference. I only have the 215 jet, 210 would be the lowest in the kit i got. I do know a shop close by that has a 205 so i may get that just to see. She is not stalling any more or backfiring and now my pipes sound loud. Very loud

awesome...

so i am happy.

What is the difference if i leave the 215 jet?

#10 ·
Aww yeah.

I was hoping to create more power with this bike it had a slow passing speed and i like to get out of the way of these texas drivers.

So if i have nothing else to worry about then i am GOOD!

THANKS Charlie and everyone:swoon:

#12 ·
It sounds like for the 1300 another thing you could do is add the 1800 final drive. There is threads on the subject. When I check the threads on my end, I put 1300 final drive on an 1800 and I get info both ways (FYI). Just giving you another thing to think about.

#13 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.