Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has installed a fairing from Dragula Cycle (the type that uses hose clamps to secure the fairing directly to the fork tubes) I need help. I am trying to install one one my 1800C and it doesn't seem to fit right. When I get the inner fairing secured to the fork tubes as it should be, I can't turn the handlebars completely without the fairing hitting the tank. Has anyone run into this? If so please give me some advice. If possible give me a call at 336-466-0360. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have been looking at a dragula cycle fairing....... do you have any pics of it on the bike? Have you contacted them with the issue yet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't take any pics while I had it on. Was too frustrated about the problem and took it back off. I know its going to require spacing away from the forks I just have to figure out what to space it with and make it look decent.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
For spacing, what I did was get a radiator hose from an auto parts joint that had two 8" sections that were straight. Cut those sections off, then split them down the middle.. wrapped the forks with it, that way the clamps would be on rubber radiator hose instead of the bare metal of the forks.

I dont know how much you're off or what kind of spacing you're needing, but that would get you around 1/4" to 1/2".. If more is needed, then use PVC Piping, then the radiator hose.. that would probably net around 1"

But also keep in mind, I am strictly guessing here. In my opinion any aftermarket fairing shouldn't touch the tank at full lock like that. Mine doesn't, I simply used the radiator hose for stability and looks (black, painted the hose clamps black... now the whole assembly doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.)

-Gonz

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the Hoppe Industries Quadzilla fairing. It also has the hose clamp configuration to clamp it to the forks. What came with the kit was a foam spacer that's sticky on one side. Wrap the forks with this material and then it clamped on well. Mine doesn't have problems with clearance. What sounds like is that they possibly sent the wrong model/specifications for your particular bike. But then again, I don't know the specifics of your fairing.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I have a Woody's with rubber spacers that came with it. I have no issues either with the tank, it does sound like you have the wrong fairing for your model.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I ran into the same issue with mine, it's made for an 1800 but will also fit the 1300's with a spacer. It turned out that the "spacer" I needed would have to be about 1-1/2" thick to bump the fairing out far enough. Being I only spent $200 on the complete fairing I didn't mind needing to adapt it to my 1300 to make it work, the spacer material and longer (stainless) clamps only cost me another $20 so I ran with it.

I didn't take any pics of them when I did it, but I took two 2"x4" blocks of solid plastic and cut an arch on both sides so it would sit flush on the fork tubes and in the fairing perch. After carving the inner & outer arch off both sides of the 2" block it ended up being almost the perfect size, I could have used another 1/8" though because I took a little to much off them so it still barely touches the tank at full lock.
I may go back in one day and put something in there to bump it out a touch more but it works the way it is so until I feel like taking it all apart again I'm just careful when I park it to not let the bars free fall to the side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts