Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear a size 14 boot. I keep having problems with my heel shifting into neutral when in first gear at a light. Today I went down a driveway on an angle and made a right into the street went to give it gas and there wasn't any. Had a terrible time keeping the bike from falling over. Are there any other heel toe shifters that are longer? Can I get a stock shifter that would work with my stock floor boards? I could cut and weld in another inch, but that would mean rechroming the shifter. I'd love to make my feet smaller, but that would be painful.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I have the same problem as ugla does. Ray is correct that you can set your foot on top and rock it as it was designed. But that's not a very comfortable riding position. I always end up snagging the edge of the toe or heel on the sole and shift when I don't want to trying to go from floorboard to shifter. I wear size 13 so maybe if I wore sneakers it would be easier, but I always wear boots when I ride. I can swim damned good with these sod busters, but they get tangled in the HT if I'm not careful. ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't have that issue as I wear a size 9. I don't know if you want to make a permanent mod to the bike, but have you thought about removing the floor board/shifter and cutting the rear part of the HT off, making it a Toe shifter only? That is if there isn't a toe shifter you can get. I don't think a C model will fit on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem with my 13's. My solution is to just always wear flip flops :D (like I normally do everyday anyway). They fit much better.

I thought about cutting the heel part off but I'm getting used to using it. I may weld an inch more metal on both sides of the pivot, then either re-chrome it or just "spray chrome" it.

Those Japanese sure do have small feet :D.

·
Tinker'r
426 Posts
size 13 here and no problems other than when I first got the bike, I'd hit the heel part when moving my feet up from the road to the boards on take off..no problems now

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only use the front like a conventional shifter. It is almost too low for that, but it works. Maybe I will do a mod, or find another shifter and mod that, so I still have the stock one if I change my mind.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I also wear a size 14 and have never had problems. To be honest, I'm not sure I can understand why you are.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I have small feet, but I don't keep my foot either between the heel / toe or on top of it. I ride with my heels propped on the forward edge of the floorboards and just step back on the rear of the shifter or the front of it. Once you do it a few times muscle memory will take over and you won't even think about it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wear a 13 combat boot when riding and haven't had this problem as of yet. I keep my foot on the outer part of the floorboard. When down shifting, I lift foot up and forward then stepping down on the shifter lightly. When down shifting, similar to up shifting but I pivot the heal in a little then tapping down. So every time I shift I return my foot the the outer part of the floorboard, I do not rest my foot on the shifter like you would when speed shifting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think both sides need extra length, have trouble using the right floor board cause the brake pedal doesn't leave much room.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i wear a 13 and didn't have an issue on my X or any of my other bikes

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The height of the shifter arm can be adjusted. Remove left shift rod cover and you will find an adjusting sleeve and lock nut.

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300r
11 Posts
Anybody ever come up with a solution here? I realize this is a really old thread but I wear size 14 shit kickers and can't use my left side floorboard. The right side is less than ideal.

The trouble is that my foot is bigger than the space between the heel peg and the ride l toe peg. If I lowsided I'd be in trouble as a good quarter to two thirds of my foot is hanging off the board. I cannot upshift this bike with the toe shifter because my toe doesn't fit under the toe shifter.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I think that the position of the toe shifter is adjustable. You can raise or lower it. You clearly need to raise it. Once your boot fits under the toe piece, perhaps your foot will fit between the two parts of the shifter.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
547 Posts
Anybody ever come up with a solution here? I realize this is a really old thread but I wear size 14 shit kickers and can't use my left side floorboard. The right side is less than ideal.

The trouble is that my foot is bigger than the space between the heel peg and the ride l toe peg. If I lowsided I'd be in trouble as a good quarter to two thirds of my foot is hanging off the board. I cannot upshift this bike with the toe shifter because my toe doesn't fit under the toe shifter.
Do you have floorboards or peg, I'm not sure I understood from your question.

I wear size 14 wide, basically 15. I have no problem, I keep my feet to the outside of the sifters on my floorboard. When I am shifting up, I keep my toe where it is, and angle my heel inwards. When I'm down shifting, I keep my heel where it is, and swing my toe inwards.

I think, even if the shifter is extended, I would have to move my foot anyways, I would either have to slide my foot back or forward enough to reach the shifter. It's easy enough to swing the foot now.

But I get the want to extend them.

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300r
11 Posts
Do you have floorboards or peg, I'm not sure I understood from your question.

I wear size 14 wide, basically 15. I have no problem, I keep my feet to the outside of the sifters on my floorboard. When I am shifting up, I keep my toe where it is, and angle my heel inwards. When I'm down shifting, I keep my heel where it is, and swing my toe inwards.

I think, even if the shifter is extended, I would have to move my foot anyways, I would either have to slide my foot back or forward enough to reach the shifter. It's easy enough to swing the foot now.

But I get the want to extend them.
You seem to be experiencing the same issue I have. The difference is that you don't care that most of your foot is hanging off the floorboard.

Along with my foot hanging off the board I accidentally upshift frequently when switching from the highway bars to the floorboard.

Also when I lean hard to the right I scrape my boot on the pavement, chewing up the sole. One could see how a piece of road debris could find itself lodged into the foot this way. I literally saw a driveshaft laying in the street the other day. A few days later it was a 2-liter bottle six-pack crate. The one that really got me worried was the 6" long 1/2" bolt just chilling in the road that I didn't see. That thing made an awful clang when I hit it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts