Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300r
11 Posts
I think that the position of the toe shifter is adjustable. You can raise or lower it. You clearly need to raise it. Once your boot fits under the toe piece, perhaps your foot will fit between the two parts of the shifter.
Once my boot fits under, I sincerely doubt I'll still have use of the heel shifter.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
554 Posts
You seem to be experiencing the same issue I have. The difference is that you don't care that most of your foot is hanging off the floorboard.

Along with my foot hanging off the board I accidentally upshift frequently when switching from the highway bars to the floorboard.

Also when I lean hard to the right I scrape my boot on the pavement, chewing up the sole. One could see how a piece of road debris could find itself lodged into the foot this way. I literally saw a driveshaft laying in the street the other day. A few days later it was a 2-liter bottle six-pack crate. The one that really got me worried was the 6" long 1/2" bolt just chilling in the road that I didn't see. That thing made an awful clang when I hit it
Yes. I was like what the hell the first time my boot dragged on the street. It hit before my floorboards. This was early on. I have since slid my boot under the shiftier more, so it doesn't make contact first (it still sticks out slightly, but not enough that it rubs first).

I have since practiced more body shifting on the bike. If I need to make a turn that is enough that my foot/floorboard may contact, I shift my body to the inside of the bike. Like when you see someone on a sportbike. It really makes a HUGH difference to where the bike doesn't have to lean as much. For the past year and a half (I've had my VTX for 2 years) I have not touched my floorboard/boot to the ground anymore (not even once). I keep up with anyone I ride with, while not making the bike lean as much.

If you haven't tried to shift seating positions during a turn, give it a shot. Take the same turn twice, once in the normal seating position, then again with your inner butt cheek hanging off the inside of the bike. You will notice that the bike doesn't really have to lean at all to make the same turn.

Road debris is a serious issue...

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300r
11 Posts
Yes. I was like what the hell the first time my boot dragged on the street. It hit before my floorboards. This was early on. I have since slid my boot under the shiftier more, so it doesn't make contact first (it still sticks out slightly, but not enough that it rubs first).

I have since practiced more body shifting on the bike. If I need to make a turn that is enough that my foot/floorboard may contact, I shift my body to the inside of the bike. Like when you see someone on a sportbike. It really makes a HUGH difference to where the bike doesn't have to lean as much. For the past year and a half (I've had my VTX for 2 years) I have not touched my floorboard/boot to the ground anymore (not even once). I keep up with anyone I ride with, while not making the bike lean as much.

If you haven't tried to shift seating positions during a turn, give it a shot. Take the same turn twice, once in the normal seating position, then again with your inner butt cheek hanging off the inside of the bike. You will notice that the bike doesn't really have to lean at all to make the same turn.

Road debris is a serious issue...
I suppose I'll have to lean with the bike. On my KTM I would keep my body upright and tilt the bike to negotiate a turn. The amount that thing would lean was almost unbelievable.

I'll try to post she pictures soon of my boot troubles. The way you're talking makes me think I'm not being clear enough, or I'm not understanding 100% what you're saying.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Cut the heel shifter part off, someone did the one on my bike it’s aluminum so it’s easy to going and sand down and polish it to look good

21 - 24 of 24 Posts