Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I don't know if I need *urgent* help, since I'm home safely and all, but... I posted this within another thread, it got 63 views and no comments, so I thought I'd start a new thread on it....

I have a question about the FI light. Twice it popped on, on my "return" leg of my trip yesterday -- 70-80 mph on the highway the first time, when it popped on and was accompanied by a stutter... I pulled the clutch then let it out and the light went away and didn't come back until I was slowing on the off-ramp of the highway... Once again, accompanied by a stutter in the engine. I pulled the clutch and once again, everything was fine, although I did notice two backfires on decel after that -- something the previous seller warned me about but I hadn't experienced in the first 200-300 miles I've ridden this thing. Any thoughts on what might be causing that? (By the way, I searched FI Light and found little or nothing, Fuel Inject Light and found a bunch of posts that seem to be related to a start-up code, but nothing that seemed to relate to this problem directly.)

I took her out for another spin just now, and 4 times on the trip around the block, the light went on and the engine sputtered. What's going on here? No codes on startup. Just the light coming on intermittently when I'm riding, making the bike jerk and sputter. Scared the crap out of my girlfriend who was on the back this time.... So please, help....

·
Bryden, 1800 F
4,394 Posts
Lets start with the simple stuff first. The battery terminals need to be tighten down with a wrench if they are lose the bike will act up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, that brings up a good point... I'm "bed wrenching" at the moment because the bike is tucked away in the garage and I'm in the bedroom, but... Do you think that a loose ground on the rear turn signals or a bad connection there might have anything to do with this? The bike was running fine until a few hours after I relocated the rear turn signals. I put a backrest on, which went over the mounting location of the turn signals... So I relocated them to a bracket that hangs off the license plate. Is that a possibility of our culprit?

·
Bryden, 1800 F
4,394 Posts
Ya a pinched wire could do it.
I.E. short in the system.
I am not good at electric I am only going off what I have read.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya a pinched wire could do it.
I.E. short in the system.
I am not good at electric I am only going off what I have read.
Well, what you've read is accurate... I pulled the tape off the turn signal wires and checked all the connections there, nothing amiss....

Pulled the seat and checked the battery terminals... I actually don't know how the bike was functioning at all! The positive terminal took about 4 full turns to get it seated and tight! Thank you thank you thank you!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.