Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
X Virgin
5,221 Posts
I fill with bike on sidestand. Up here they won't turn on the pump until everyone is off the bike. That means rider and passenger as well. I asked about it and was told it was a safety issue if ever there was a gasoline fire .
You say "up here" as in Canada"?
I have NEVER filled up the bike without being on it and the bike upright.
And who ever said above they didn't want to climb on the bike with the gas hose in hand, I never do that either:

1/ Ride up next to the gas pump and turn bike off
2/ Take key and remove gas cap
3/ Fill tank
4/ Return hose to gas pump

It's just a habit, more gas is more better.....

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
I have a 2003 VTX1300 that I fill in the upright position. You will not be able to overfill the gas tank because of the vent tube that allows the overfilled gas run out to the ground. (Personal experience talking). I have not run into any gas station that won't allow you to stand the bike up wit hte riders off, but can tell you in Calif. you have to push the nozzle in all the way, up to the rubber on the nozzle so you won't get a full tank let alone worrying about if your going to overfill. Just an FYI!
If you do not hold the nozzle at a certain depth or certain angle on MY 1800, you end up with it splashing all over everything!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have just recently started to fill up in the upright position. I have a 1800C and just put R fenders on. I kept the stock 18” front wheel and found a tire size to match the stock tire height of the R. Now my X seems to lean harder on the kickstand than it did before, so I am filling upright as to not short-fill the tank

21 - 23 of 23 Posts