Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

fill er up

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  ts_actual 
#1 ·
hELLO, new to the forum and was just thinkin about gas.
1. when you fill er up do you use kick stand or do you sit on the bike (to get more in)
2. just bought this vtx (after about 15 years of no bike) . I don't seem to be getting very good milage.
Do yall add an number to the odometer to know when to fill up? or do you wait till the sputter.
3. Since the gas stations in my area have ethanol free gas , would yall use that versus the premium or 89 or >.
I received some nice info reading the old forms, so thanx for that.

#2 · (Edited)
1. I fill my tank in the upright position. I don't think there is any wrong answer here, unless you fill it to the very top and leave it parked in the sun (as the fluid will expand). You could always fill upright if you are riding right after, and not so high if you are parking it.

2. I wait until I need to hit reserve to get gas, unless I am on my way home (I fill it right down the road), or I am on a trip and stop (I gas up every stop).

3. I use the 87 octane.

I get about 30 mpg, but I have a my carb setup for max power.

Reactions: PaXman11
#3 ·
In use the kickstand because I don't want to be throwing my leg over the bike with the gas hose in my hand and in case I have over fill, my crotch isn't going to get soaked.
I generally start thinking about filling up at about 140 miles or less depending where the next town may be.

#4 ·
There are issues to consider when filling in the standing-it-upright position. You can get maybe a quart to half gallon more in that way, but as mentioned, over-filling because some nozzles pump way faster than others, or filling to the brim and expansion from sitting in the sun can happen. That being said, it's what I do 99% of the time. As I have an 1800, and with the C model the smallest tank @ 4.49 Gal. US, I want as much as it can take. It has been proven by a lot more and better than me that using un-ethanol regular is better than 10%ethanol 86 or 87 octane for better power and mileage. My 1800 has the idiot light, no reserve, so when my light comes on, at or about 110-120 miles into the tankful, I'd better start looking for a fuel stop in the next 25-30 mi. or I'll be walking. I have fueled up as soon as my light has come on, and that is usually at the 3.7-3.8 gal. mark.

#18 ·
I fill it on the side stand as well. Mine is the 1800 Retro (s)
I have the idiot light when I have a gallon left. I am trying the non-ethanol now and hope it gets better mileage. But after this many years with my good buddy vtx I am used to expecting to gas up around 140 miles. I do reset the odometer every gas up. I hate to have to clean my bib if I overdose it.

#5 ·
I fill with the bike upright. I run it til it starts to choke then hit reserve and look for a gas station. I use 87, always have unless the station I pull up to doesnt have it. With the new jets and tuned carb I was getting 42 mpg last season. I usually hit 4.1 gal when I fill.

#6 ·
A well carb tuned 1300 can easily get 45+ mpg. Do not bother with ethanol free gas except when storing for long periods of time like over the winter if you do not ride then. The bike is engineered to handle 10% ethanol without any problems.

Practice reaching down with your left hand to flip the petcock lever. Get good at this so you can do it in a pinch.

A well carb tuned 1300 can go as much as 170 miles before having to switch to reserve. My wife got to 173 miles once but this was non-stop, flat, 55 mph for a long way so optimum conditions.

Reset one of your trip odometers at each fill-up and and plan a max of ~200 miles till empty and about 150-170 miles until petcock flip.

You did not ask this but for others who might ask - do not ever use high octane gas in a 1300. It won't hurt anything other than your wallet) but is totally unnecessary. The 1300 does not have a high compression engine so the higher octane (higher auto-ignition temperature) is not needed to prevent premature (compression) detonation even in the hottest of temperatures.

Reactions: StarrRider
#7 ·
87 octane and you will get better mileage with ethanol free but don't spend extra money for it. I have seen gas stations in TN that sold only ethanol free but otherwise the extra money spent is not worth the extra mileage. Same idea with Premium as Vinish noted.

Tip from years ago on here given to me.
When you flip the petcock to reserve, flip the cover on the gas cap open too.
It's a little reminder that you need to switch off reserve when you fill up.
No one likes when they forget they are on reserve and have nothing to switch to when the bike sputters. :)

Mileage will vary widely from 130-180 before reserve. The same two bikes same mods same carb jetting can get different mileage. Driver weight, wrist usage, etc all play into it. You'll just have to ride and find where your average reserve spot lands.

Small black button on front of speedometer housing will reset the trip meter when held few seconds.

Enjoy the ride. :)

#8 ·
IndyX is correct. While we always think of fuel mileage as miles per gallon, it is probably better to think of it as miles per dollar. While the MPG is better with ethanol free gas, the MP$ is worse.

#21 ·
You say "up here" as in Canada"?
I have NEVER filled up the bike without being on it and the bike upright.
And who ever said above they didn't want to climb on the bike with the gas hose in hand, I never do that either:

1/ Ride up next to the gas pump and turn bike off
2/ Take key and remove gas cap
3/ Fill tank
4/ Return hose to gas pump

It's just a habit, more gas is more better.....

#12 ·
I have a 2005 1800c2. Fill usually on side stand because that extra gas fill up is only good if you plan on riding to the very last drop, and who does that. I also reset my my trip and know that I want at least a half gallon left in the tank when I fill up, and I figure my tank will get me 160 miles at 36 mpg using 4.49 capacity. So I fill up when I reach 120 to 140 miles on the trip. Idiot light comes on when 1 gallon left, which says I need to reach a station within 36 miles.

#14 ·
I have a 2005 1800c2. Fill usually on side stand because that extra gas fill up is only good if you plan on riding to the very last drop, and who does that.
On a 1300 we have a reserve (reserve switch). If we fill up once we hit that level, the more you can fit in the tank is the longer you can go before you reach that level. So for the 1300, riding until empty, isn't really the point. It's more how far can you go before you hit reserve.

I have never calculated the difference between side stand filling vs upright filling, but it clearly can hold more in the upright position. I would have to imagine it would grant you anywhere from 5-15 extra miles (depending on your mpg). For me, that is a big difference, for others, it may not be.

#16 ·
You've got over a gallon left in the tank when you have to flip to reserve so you have a minimum of 40-45 miles of range left. I would worry less about filling up on the sidestand or upright and just ride deeper into the reserve range.

#19 ·
hELLO, new to the forum and was just thinkin about gas.
1. when you fill er up do you use kick stand or do you sit on the bike (to get more in)
2. just bought this vtx (after about 15 years of no bike) . I don't seem to be getting very good milage.
Do yall add an number to the odometer to know when to fill up? or do you wait till the sputter.
3. Since the gas stations in my area have ethanol free gas , would yall use that versus the premium or 89 or >.
I received some nice info reading the old forms, so thanx for that.
I have a 2003 VTX1300 that I fill in the upright position. You will not be able to overfill the gas tank because of the vent tube that allows the overfilled gas run out to the ground. (Personal experience talking). I have not run into any gas station that won't allow you to stand the bike up wit hte riders off, but can tell you in Calif. you have to push the nozzle in all the way, up to the rubber on the nozzle so you won't get a full tank let alone worrying about if your going to overfill. Just an FYI!

#22 ·
If you do not hold the nozzle at a certain depth or certain angle on MY 1800, you end up with it splashing all over everything!

#20 ·
Seems like to me that running out of fuel, then flipping petcock, probably not good, but that's my opinion. I never do that, I fuel up after 80-100 miles. You never know if you might need that extra fuel if you have issues or break down, might never happen. And keep flipping that petcock is wear & tear on it. I had to replace mine.
That's just the way I do it 👍

#23 ·
I have just recently started to fill up in the upright position. I have a 1800C and just put R fenders on. I kept the stock 18” front wheel and found a tire size to match the stock tire height of the R. Now my X seems to lean harder on the kickstand than it did before, so I am filling upright as to not short-fill the tank