Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Got Goose?
632 Posts
Seems like a pretty simple job..my dealer said it is something they do at the 600 mile check..after reading that writeup I think I will do it myself

Question for people who have change over to another oil other than OEM for the final drive...(Amsoil, Royal Purple any other synthetic)..have you noticed a difference? Bike any smoother? I'm talking the final drive, not the engine oil

2T2

·
The Fish, Not The Guitar
116 Posts
I changed mine at 1000 miles and I used Mobil 1 synthetic with a moly additive. Tuco is correct; the manual says 24k. The factory uses a moly paste on the gears during assembly. That paste should be replaced whenever the rear wheel is removed.

I'm a stickler when it comes to stuff like this so I changed it and used the additive. Many folks on this forum say it doesn't matter if you change it early or not, or if you use the 80W or 75W-90 synthetic. I'd recommend you do a bit of research. There are a lot of people with a bucket-load of experience on this forum that will be glad to help you out.;)

·
The Fish, Not The Guitar
116 Posts
Thanks readtrio; yes that is a very important point and distinction to make;)

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
the splines get paste, the gears get the soup

some have reported no problems with changing early and some have gotten some gear whine from doing it to early.

The molly soup is left in for the 24000 miles to help the drive gears seat in properly.

there are some companies out there where you can get the additive and mix your own lifetime supply.

I think it only takes 4oz so a 32oz bottle would last 8 changes and you could go 192000 miles on one bottle of mix.

·
The Fish, Not The Guitar
116 Posts
I ordered mine online. TS Moly is the name of the company.

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Was the old residue wiped out as best as possible, and what was used to re-lube everything? If you have 'residue' either you used the wrong formula or too much of something. If you have to take the wheel back off, do so. Running it w/o the right stuff isn't good either. Honda dealers have stuff now called Moly 77 paste, it's a slightly higher concentration of the old recommended Moly 60. Remember this stuff lasts and lasts, a little bit will do in there. A tube will last the lifetime of the bike at 10K intervals.

·
Registered
My other bike is a Turbo Busa
54 Posts
Got some of that Moly Honda Paste on my hands, then my garage floor, then my jeans, then my shirt, then the wall, then the toilet, lol. Wicked Nasty Stuff

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
Got some of that Moly Honda Paste on my hands, then my garage floor, then my jeans, then my shirt, then the wall, then the toilet, lol. Wicked Nasty Stuff
Comes right off with Simple Green. The hands, anyway. Not certain about clothes. Maybe pre-soak with Simple Green?

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,770 Posts
Yeah wear rubber gloves when you messing with that moly. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts