Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
[email protected]#$ Happens...
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a write up of how to swap the Final Drive. Hope this helps someone. It only takes about 45 mins. Have fun!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
How much does that cost about?
What happens to gas milage, after you get done playing with it to see what it will do?
Is it just like changing the gear ratio on a race car? What is the new vs old?
I am not a speedster on my bike, I just ride to relax.

Great post and illustrations .

·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cost...I got a polished 1800 FD from a member of the cafe. It was $220. Not to bad at all, esp since it is polished! I am not sure about the gas mileage yet. I will need to get a speed-o-healer first to get an accurate number. The speed is 15 MPH off right now, so the Odometer won't be accurate.

It lowers the gear ratio. Kind of like on a race car, but not near as extreme. I believe (this from another poster) that the stock FD is 2.8:1 and the 1800 FD is 3.1:1 So, not a big change but it definately makes a difference.

Once I have all of my mods done I will make sure and document everything. I will be adding HK 2.5" Stripper Pipes, Scar mod, and SPyKER mod next weekend. I may do a write up on the Scar Mod with pictures and all. I think I have seen one around but I can't remember where. Me personally, I like pictures.

So far everything I have done has been AMAZINGLY easy! I will be taking on the "Green Ghost" wheel polish after I get the other mods done. I will make sure and write it up too...All the props to everyone who has designed all of these mods and for those who have the ingenuity and experience to help us NOOBs out!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
At 65mph, it makes about 230rpm diff.
I havent noticed any diff. in mileage, getting about 38 plus, it depends on how I ride.

·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed it wraps through the gears a LOT faster. At first when playing around, I was floating the valves while in first gear. Of course that was on accident and I only did it a couple of times. Just have to work on getting my timing down. But going 70mph it didn't sound much different (85 on the speedo). I would suspect 230 rpm off is accurate...I will be making a trip tomorrow with the inlaws, so I will fill up before I leave and figure off of his mileage, hopefully get an approximate mileage for everyone.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You were hitting the rev limiter. Wasnt floating the valves.

It takes a while to get use to, shifting. But I like it alot more.

My speedo is only off by 10% with the 18 fd in.

I passed a bunch of cars, and went from about 55 and kicked it up to 125 (speedo reading) really fast, and ran out of road, so it really dont hurt the top end much, I still had some left and it was still picking up speed when I shut it down. Love it.:D

·
Lady Rider
870 Posts
I have the speedohealer on mine and followed hubby (he was in the car). My speedo is of course dead on now. When his tripometer said 114, mine said 110. Not bad. My gas mileage was actually 34 mpg driving conservatively - all highway, and it was a little better than that before the 1800 RD. Bear in mind, I have the CT 165/80R15 and this throws me off a little too. As for Speedometer, I was 10% off stock, 13% with the CT and went 19% off after RD. Speedohealer was a must for me. I hated doing the math. As for the ride, I'm finding that the smaller tire + 1800 RD just makes my bike zip around curves. I love it. Though I think it'll still take some getting use to the higher revving and looking for the 6th and 7th gears. That's just me. I'm still playing.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Im running the 205-65-15 ct.
I figured it was only off by about 6%, with everything stock.
The 1800 fd does make it about 4% more, and at 10% off its easy to do the math.
Have you pulled the front tire up yet with the ct on????
I still aint to old. :D
Ive got new cluch kit comeing and I think I can hitting 2nd.

·
Lady Rider
870 Posts
Im running the 205-65-15 ct.
I figured it was only off by about 6%, with everything stock.
The 1800 fd does make it about 4% more, and at 10% off its easy to do the math.
Have you pulled the front tire up yet with the ct on????
I still aint to old. :D
Ive got new cluch kit comeing and I think I can hitting 2nd.
I've felt it pick up going into 2nd. I haven't pushed it, though I've thought about it. I'm just not sure what I'd do once I got it there. I have no experience with sportsbikes.:) If it ever happens and I like it, I may be ruined.

·
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've felt it pick up going into 2nd. I haven't pushed it, though I've thought about it. I'm just not sure what I'd do once I got it there. I have no experience with sportsbikes.:) If it ever happens and I like it, I may be ruined.
Feather the clutch to keep it up and balanced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts