Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend me and my girlfriend decided to attempt our first camping trip on the bike. We decided to do a one night trip to a place close by to test out the concept. We also looked for a place with stores relatively close by, so we went with the approach to pack minimal food and supplies, to keep the packing light, and we would buy what we needed/wanted when we got there. We also planned to share the sleeping bag, which would make things a little interesting. We had a good time and will definitely do it again, but we did find some room for improvement which I will list below. Here's the details:

The items we packed for the trip:

• Sleeping bag – measured 18"x10" rolled up
  • 2 man tent – measured 24"x9" folded up
  • Camping pillow – measured 11"x9"
  • Towel
  • Extra clothes (socks, jeans, warm up pants, and shirts)
  • 2 jackets
  • Cosmetic back with all the overnight goodies
  • Flip flops (2 pair)
  • Flashlights
  • Flask filled with our favorite drink
  • Plastic knives and forks

We were able to pack all the above items in an army backpack and the two saddlebags.

Bike packed and ready to go:

Once we arrived at our destination we unpacked the bike and setup our site.

Once we setup our site we decided to go for a ride and get a drink and pick up food and drink for the night. The store was approximately six miles away from the campground. Below is a what we picked up at the store and I listed the items we could have brought with us:

• Charcoal
  • Fire log
  • Tin foil (could have brought with us)
  • Plates (could have brought with us)
  • Lighter (could have brought with us)
  • Water
  • Diet Coke
  • Cups
  • Collapsible Cooler (bought, but now I have have for future trips)
  • Pretzels
  • Macaroni salad
  • Steaks
  • Seasoning (could have brought with us)
  • Ice
  • Bug spray (we didn’t need to use)
The campground we stayed at had grills on each site, so we didn't have to take a disposable grill. Also, if you wanted to go lighter on the food, you could always eat close to where you stay or pick up a sub or food and bring it back to the campground, but that would take some of the fun out of the trip.

We ended up having a great time and survived the night, however there was room for improvement and some items missed. Here they are:

- Air mattress or sleeping pad (the sleeping bag didn't provide much cushion and I'm not as young as I use to be)
- Find a less bulky blanket that can provide warmth if needed
- Try to find a way to include small burner, propane and coffee pot (not a neccesity, but like my coffee in the morning when I wake up)
- No chairs to sit on to relax. Sat at the picnic table, which was ok for one night, but I would miss my folding chairs if I stayed longer.

Now that the first trip is done, it will be time to go on a little longer excursion. Any suggestions for future trips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Maybe look into a trailer. You need some necessities when you camp. Chairs would be nice.

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Chairs? Love to see that in the bike. Air mattress? I remember you laughing and telling me that it's called camping and I was pretty....... (BuYA!!!!!! Who's right now) start looking into collapsible items like cups. Sounds like we should do a bass pro run and just slowly walk down the isle.

?BuYA!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chairs? Love to see that in the bike. Air mattress? I remember you laughing and telling me that it's called camping and I was pretty....... (BuYA!!!!!! Who's right now) start looking into collapsible items like cups. Sounds like we should do a bass pro run and just slowly walk down the isle.

BuYA!
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm not as young as I use to be, but I survived. I could still do without the air mattress, but it would make it more comfortable. I'm open for the date to Bass Pro whenever you're ready. I'm a little shocked you're asking me to walk down the aisle so soon!

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Now let me get this straight... You only took one sleeping bag to share, and you also took a flask with your favorite beverage...

Sounds like quite a plan to start with right there..... LOL

Spoiler

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now let me get this straight... You only took one sleeping bag to share, and you also took a flask with your favorite beverage...

Sounds like quite a plan to start with right there..... LOL

Spoiler
Exactly! :47b20s0:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

BuYA!
To the OP, check into a Therma-Rest. It's light and rolls up small and goes into a bag. It's a whole lot better than the hard ground.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ahh..the days of the first camping trip. It was only 3 summers ago but since then..we (the wife and I) have graduated to the Blueridge Parkway...Maine and South Dakota last year. Bigger and better for the past three years. Loved every minute of it. This year, keeping it close to home and doing Gettysburg/D.C./Philly.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Keep a list of everything you took and make out a new list for things you may have needed....modify..add..delete..and you will get it down the more you take camping trips. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
We have a couple of those big plastic buckets down in our basement with all the 'small's' of camping....and our list is in there. The list just helps us remember what we need before we camp again. Keeps you organized. There are just a ton of things that you may not think of until you are actually out there camping that you need. I think our first year we forgot bug spray and a lighter. Its fun though..and the wife loves it. She keeps us organized and I ride the bike.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
A camp site with palm trees. Looks like someplace I would really enjoy. Sounds like you had a great adventure. Think I'd have to have a chair too. I have a self inflating pad that I used to use on my Canadian camping trips. Folds down quite a bit. Fit inside my backpack, along with my tent, sleeping bag, and all of my cloths and food. Was a great thing to have, and took up very little space.

Thanks for sharing.

Ray

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
This weekend me and my girlfriend decided to attempt our first camping trip on the bike. We decided to do a one night trip to a place close by to test out the concept. We also looked for a place with stores relatively close by, so we went with the approach to pack minimal food and supplies, to keep the packing light, and we would buy what we needed/wanted when we got there. We also planned to share the sleeping bag, which would make things a little interesting. We had a good time and will definitely do it again, but we did find some room for improvement which I will list below. Here's the details:

The items we packed for the trip:

• Sleeping bag – measured 18"x10" rolled up
  • 2 man tent – measured 24"x9" folded up
  • Camping pillow – measured 11"x9"
  • Towel
  • Extra clothes (socks, jeans, warm up pants, and shirts)
  • 2 jackets
  • Cosmetic back with all the overnight goodies
  • Flip flops (2 pair)
  • Flashlights
  • Flask filled with our favorite drink
  • Plastic knives and forks

We were able to pack all the above items in an army backpack and the two saddlebags.

Bike packed and ready to go:

Once we arrived at our destination we unpacked the bike and setup our site.

Once we setup our site we decided to go for a ride and get a drink and pick up food and drink for the night. The store was approximately six miles away from the campground. Below is a what we picked up at the store and I listed the items we could have brought with us:

• Charcoal
  • Fire log
  • Tin foil (could have brought with us)
  • Plates (could have brought with us)
  • Lighter (could have brought with us)
  • Water
  • Diet Coke
  • Cups
  • Collapsible Cooler (bought, but now I have have for future trips)
  • Pretzels
  • Macaroni salad
  • Steaks
  • Seasoning (could have brought with us)
  • Ice
  • Bug spray (we didn’t need to use)
The campground we stayed at had grills on each site, so we didn't have to take a disposable grill. Also, if you wanted to go lighter on the food, you could always eat close to where you stay or pick up a sub or food and bring it back to the campground, but that would take some of the fun out of the trip.

We ended up having a great time and survived the night, however there was room for improvement and some items missed. Here they are:

- Air mattress or sleeping pad (the sleeping bag didn't provide much cushion and I'm not as young as I use to be)
- Find a less bulky blanket that can provide warmth if needed
- Try to find a way to include small burner, propane and coffee pot (not a neccesity, but like my coffee in the morning when I wake up)
- No chairs to sit on to relax. Sat at the picnic table, which was ok for one night, but I would miss my folding chairs if I stayed longer.

Now that the first trip is done, it will be time to go on a little longer excursion. Any suggestions for future trips would be appreciated.
Something I would add to your missed items:

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,523 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts