Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 4 days later I finally got around to installing the Dyna Beads - 2oz. in the front and 2 oz. in the rear tire. Front was easy, rear tire took a little while to tap the beads through that right angle stem. Didn't need vibration - just tapped the stem with my index finger and they rolled right in. The front had 1 balancing weight and the rear had none. Being a mad scientist and all, I just could not resist doing the experiment - so I left the front weight on and took 'er for a test drive - smooth as silk at all speeds! The high frequency vibrations are gone! I've never seen the view in the mirrors look so crisp and sharp - wow! Stopped and took off the weight - no change at all - still uber smooth. So I left the weight off as recommended for Dyna Bead usage on a MC, but it didn't seem to hurt when it was on.

However, the low frequency shimmy/wobble on decel from 55-35mph (peaks at 45) when I take my hands off (above) the grips remains exactly the same - that must be the steering bearings - a job I am dreading...

I am wondering - how many of you have been chasing down the demons - replace the Dunflops with Metzelers, install progressive shocks, install Dyna Beads - then still have the low frequency wobble - and end up after all, doing the steering bearings to finally smooth out the ride?

Also - check out this thread if you replaced the steering bearings and (finally) fixed the wobble: http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=26955

MJK:patriot:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had the same issues but just put on new Metzlers and had my bearing adjusted (not replaced). All my wobble/shimmy issues are gone. This is on a 1300R with spoked wheels (=tubes in the tires). Fantastic ride!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The engineer in me just can't agree with the prevalent idea that the steering neck bearings are causing wobble - and mine has it too, from about 43 down to 38 or so. Systems or components wobble because something is putting energy into the vibrating system, and fixed bearings don't do that. But, new bearings - or the old ones - with a nice, fresh preload can definately dampen a vibrating system by simple friction or highly loaded rolling distortion, absorbing energy and turning it (ultimately) to heat. My experience says the "improvement" effect of "new" bearings, whether ball and cage (1300 original) or the longer cone and cage (1800 type) is probably more due to a higher rolling resistance - and thereby more damping - because of a combination of "reset" preload and that the bearing is still full of new grease. I'd be very interested to know if people who have put the 1800 bearings in the 1300 see any return to wobble after some time - say, six months or a year, once those bearings have loosened up. 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I'm no engineer but that makes since. I just know that I have the wobble and I'm looking to do the bearing replacement soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts