Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ride with my new bike and I had to make evasive maneuvers because a blue hair did a u-turn in front of me. Had to exit the pavement up on the grass and back over the curb to the pavement. As I was sitting at the next light trying to get the smell out of my pants a guy pulled up to me and said the maneuver I did could only be made by an experienced rider. If he only knew that I had just swallowed my tongue and crapped my pants and that I just got my license after 20 years off of a bike!
Whew, I’m a nervous wreck at work today. I sure hope the rest of my riding experience goes better than my first licensed ride on the VTX.

·
Sarge
643 Posts
You've had your first...good instincts....remember it..never stop being on the defensive when riding on the road brother...we bikers cannot forget that while we are the happiest people on the road, we are also the smallest vehicles on the road...quick reflexes, lots of lights and big sounds are our allies... Remember...Scan, Identify,Predict, Plan, Execute if necessary!

·
Ride, eat, sleep...repeat
566 Posts
Glad that you were able to keep control Big Jon. Welcome back to riding. Don't let this get you off that bike for another 20 years. Do you keep an extra set of clothes at work?? :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep... I'm not looking forward to my first close call. I too have been off a bike for a while (10+ yrs) I never had a really close call before, but the population of Boise was lower back then. I can't afford a serious accident, as I have a plate in my neck from a MX wreck I had back in 1996. Blew out two disks and had surgery to stabilize my neck etc.. Luckily I walked away from that one, so until I get more hours in the saddle, I'm being extra careful.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
You handled it perfectly and glad you can laugh about it now.

Please, no pics of the underwear. We believe you, :D

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
The only important thing is you did it. I the corner of your mind lives everything you lr=earned about riding a bike. When you needed it the mind snatch it out of the corner and you remembered. The mind is a wonderful thing we don't know how to fully utilize but it works when needed. You also have a permanent picture of that moment to keep you on your toes out there. Glad you came thru it Bro.

·
Certifiable Member
527 Posts
Glad you are safe. I am goin to get a duaL trumpet horn for my ride asap........make the cager crap there pants next time ...then we both go home an change our drawers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Compnd, I thought I saw a camera flash this morning:icon_eek:

Here is a pic of the ride that almost wasn't

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi NC, get it out of you're head. You're up, good to go and ready to ride. You can't dwell on yesterday's misfortune riding todays ride. Blue hairs are a menace. There is no limit to the manuvers they are likely to attempt. Giving them wide berth is part of a motorcycist defensive driving regieme.

Im happy you are all right. Whatever you did was right as you stayed up and are unhurt. Nothing beats a 20 minute motorcycle ride except a 30 minute ride or a 2 week cruise. Peace......:choppersm

·
Registered
954 Posts
Sure am glad you are telling us about this today and not two weeks from now because you spent time in the hospital. Glad you are ok except for needing new drawers. Ride safe.:cheers:

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
I just assume the random members of the public intend to kill me. And every now and then, I'm proved right.
Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean their not actually out to get you!

Rebel

·
Registered
821 Posts
Glad you're ok. Seems like I have a close call every time I leave the house. We just don't exist to cagers.

The only important thing is you did it. I the corner of your mind lives everything you lr=earned about riding a bike. When you needed it the mind snatch it out of the corner and you remembered. The mind is a wonderful thing we don't know how to fully utilize but it works when needed. You also have a permanent picture of that moment to keep you on your toes out there. Glad you came thru it Bro.
Your post reminds me of the first time I got shot at in Iraq. Didn't have to think about it, just reacted. Grabbed the guy next to me and threw him behind a wall, got down beside him, then tried to find the shooter so I could return his neighborly welcome. Looking back on it, a few seconds seemed like an hour. Training really pays off when you need it to.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Glad you're ok. Seems like I have a close call every time I leave the house. We just don't exist to cagers.

Your post reminds me of the first time I got shot at in Iraq. Didn't have to think about it, just reacted. Grabbed the guy next to me and threw him behind a wall, got down beside him, then tried to find the shooter so I could return his neighborly welcome. Looking back on it, a few seconds seemed like an hour. Training really pays off when you need it to.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.
Conditioned reflex, it the reason for boot camp and infantry training. Comes in hab=ndy Bow Hunting too.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Glad you made it with out damage to yourself or the X. Nice looking scoot too. What type of bars do you have/how much rise/pull back do those have?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts