Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently picked up my first vtx. it's a low mileage '05 1800 that's been sitting for maaaaany years. Lots of chrome, lots of flames, haha you have to see it.

I recently started a small youtube channel and this is the new project on the channel. I'd appreciate the subscriptions and "likes" on the videos as they come out!

I appreciate how active this forum is, i've used it for info already!

Check out the walkaround video here:
Honda VTX project - youtube

·
Registered
38 Posts
there is a chemical you can use to clean out the tank.

I have the same model/color but a lot more customizing (240 rear tire, custom wheels, etc.)

you will be hard pressed to find the tank. that color scheme is no longer available by Honda, they only sell the tank fully painted with the tribals, and the Challenger Brown and the tribals have been discontinued. I was forced to buy a black tank for mine.. So now it is being re-painted. sucks too because I loved that color scheme. but the cost of having the tribals remade isn't worth it. I found a dozen guys willing to copy the OEM design for $1000+ not worth it considering the tank alone is $3,300. I lucked out and found a good used tank for $900. but the F tank is a unicorn. it is different from all the other models and not interchangeable due to the dash cluster setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a chemical you can use to clean out the tank.

I have the same model/color but a lot more customizing (240 rear tire, custom wheels, etc.)

you will be hard pressed to find the tank. that color scheme is no longer available by Honda, they only sell the tank fully painted with the tribals, and the Challenger Brown and the tribals have been discontinued. I was forced to buy a black tank for mine.. So now it is being re-painted. sucks too because I loved that color scheme. but the cost of having the tribals remade isn't worth it. I found a dozen guys willing to copy the OEM design for $1000+ not worth it considering the tank alone is $3,300. I lucked out and found a good used tank for $900. but the F tank is a unicorn. it is different from all the other models and not interchangeable due to the dash cluster setup.
Great info, thanks! Yeah it's not rust, so I should be able to clean it out with acid or paint thinner. Then I'll be tackling cleaning all of the fuel lines and external pump

·
Registered
38 Posts
as an FYI, most "C" parts fit the "F" model. 2006 forward are closer than 2005 back. there are many more C parts available (more of this model sold than the F) that Honda hasn't discontinued.

I am in the process o rebuilding my F right now due to a small incident. I am having to get many C parts as the F parts are discontinued. which in general is odd as the parts are the same, but Honda has them listed under different part numbers.

if you need any cross referencing hit me in PM,. I am making a list based on what I am having to purchase to rebuild the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts