Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m looking for experienced riders to be frank with me here. Last night I got to ride for the first time a vtx1800 I spent all summer rebuilding,after riding a total of 5 mins in my life I had driven it up my huge drive and when I went to turn couldn’t so I threw it in neutral and backed up a ways(this is where it hits the fan) I didn’t back up far enough an when I put it in first and feathered the throttle it jerked I lost balance and beacause I’m right handed tried to save myself by grabbing the right handlebar in doing so I accidentally gave it more gas pretty soon I was sideways in an old gravel lot at the end of my drive skinned a little( because I was wearing ZERO protection like a inbred moron but no big injury,however my bike bent the new handlebars ruined the rear taillight and broke my brake lever. I would greatly appreciate your input on weather I should fix my bike make some money and move on-or have someone help me with riding.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
6,892 Posts
That would not stop any of us from picking it up and riding on. (When you and bike are able.)

I was out of state a few weeks ago, went over the handlebars, landed in front of my bike. Got it back on the road and rode two hours to dinner. I've been riding 7 years and that was my first incident.

Stuff happens. Learn from it and move on. You buy a used bike when new to riding because stuff will happen.

If you have never ridden before go take a class. No shame in learning how to ride with the small steps in class. Then you can hop on that bike and ride with confidence.

FWIW an inclined stop is probably the most difficult situation you will encounter on a bike. It gives everyone trouble even old pros. It's a delicate balance of brake and throttle and all to get yourself moving again.

·
Super Moderator
9,455 Posts
If you are at an inclined stop and can balance the bike with just your left foot, I find it easier to use the rear brake to hold the bike in place while my hands manipulate just the clutch and throttle to pull forward.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
6,892 Posts
If you are at an inclined stop and can balance the bike with just your left foot, I find it easier to use the rear brake to hold the bike in place while my hands manipulate just the clutch and throttle to pull forward.
Exactly. Even if you need both feet down to hold balance you can usually get your foot up on brake, off lever, and roll up.
Like I said it's a dance you have to learn with experience.
Had a hell of a hill in TN with a stoplight at top. Gave a lot of our group trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn’t on much of an incline, just a flat drive I was just trying to roll into the little gravel circle drive on the left of me to take the trip back down to the house an as I let go of the clutch and gave it gas it jerked more than expected- however I really appreciate your reply’s.i honestly expected to catch some serious hate and it’s nice to not have👍

·
Fastest Red Club Member
6,892 Posts
Friction zone and clutch control. Hard to describe the stuff they teach in classes. There are some videos online but nothing better than in person instructors IMO.

Like I said stuff happens. Everyone has had a bike down in one way or another. I know it sucks but usually it's the pride that gets hurt the most.

Fix the bike, take a class when you can, don't give up. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friction zone and clutch control. Hard to describe the stuff they teach in classes. There are some videos online but nothing better than in person instructors IMO.

Like I said stuff happens. Everyone has had a bike down in one way or another. I know it sucks but usually it's the pride that gets hurt the most.

Fix the bike, take a class when you can, don't give up. :)
I will DEFINITELY be taking a class-to be honest I watched a lot of YouTube
Looked pretty easy- however i have learned that riding a motorcycle is a highly technical hobby, not one that you learn “on the job” so to speak

·
Fastest Red Club Member
6,892 Posts
I will DEFINITELY be taking a class-to be honest I watched a lot of YouTube
Looked pretty easy- however i have learned that riding a motorcycle is a highly technical hobby, not one that you learn “on the job” so to speak
You can learn that way. You just learned something not to do today. :)
I did not understand counter steering and rode my first bike into a post in a parking lot before I took a class. My family teacher didn't explain that part... Class did.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with the others. Fix the bike. Take the class. The beginners course even starts you off on a smaller bike so you can learn and develop confidence. Trying to learn on an 1800 is a very intimidating task. We all had to learn and have stories to tell. You will do fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing about the VTX is the torque and power behind this heavy weight. Plus this bike I have found to be very top heavy therefor easy to loose control. Like others have said you just pick yourself up and do it again

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
One thing about the VTX is the torque and power behind this heavy weight. Plus this bike I have found to be very top heavy therefor easy to loose control. Like others have said you just pick yourself up and do it again
Nope. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!
Go ride, yes, but don't drop it.
:giggle:

One question for Jocko though: "after riding a total of 5 mins in my life ". Is that 5 mins on an 1800 or 5 mins on any bike?

·
Registered
950 Posts
That would not stop any of us from picking it up and riding on. (When you and bike are able.)......
Stuff happens. Learn from it and move on. You buy a used bike when new to riding because stuff will happen.
No truer words spoken here. I totaled my 2006 C 3 weeks after getting my endorsement, 3 years ago. Then there's the times I dropped it before totaling it, practicing slow turns. Yup, I've learned from it and moved on. Shopped for my new X while I was recovering from my accident. Having the time of my life right now! That poor old 2006 C (pictured in my signature) paid the ultimate price for my learning. Thankfully it wasn't the other way around. Like IndyX says, "Learn from it."

I admire your willingness to share what happened. Not everyone would.

·
Super Moderator
5,263 Posts
Hey guys, I’m looking for experienced riders to be frank with me here. Last night I got to ride for the first time a vtx1800 I spent all summer rebuilding,after riding a total of 5 mins in my life I had driven it up my huge drive and when I went to turn couldn’t so I threw it in neutral and backed up a ways(this is where it hits the fan) I didn’t back up far enough an when I put it in first and feathered the throttle it jerked I lost balance and because I’m right handed tried to save myself by grabbing the right handlebar in doing so I accidentally gave it more gas pretty soon I was sideways in an old gravel lot at the end of my drive skinned a little( because I was wearing ZERO protection like a inbred moron but no big injury,however my bike bent the new handlebars ruined the rear taillight and broke my brake lever. I would greatly appreciate your input on weather I should fix my bike make some money and move on-or have someone help me with riding.

My first bike back in the mid 70's was a Honda CL-360. No schooling, no MSC class/test back then and at 15 1/2 you could ride your bike with just your learners permit and no Class D license. Just get on and ride. But back then, a 360 weighed about 200 and some odd pounds. Now a days starting out on a 700 and some odd pound bike with out taking a MSC is a recipe for disaster!!!! And illegal in most of the country, and there is a good reason for that! Having said that, I have never taken a MSC, but I am planning on taking the advanced course soon!!! Even with almost 60,000 miles under my belt!!!!! You can never know too much!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Highway bars, "crash" bars, engine guard, whatever you want to call them can save a lot of bike and rider damage. Glad you didn't sustain serious injury. Jump back on that horse and ride!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I learned to ride small dirt bikes before going to bigger street bikes. The reason being, your going to fall and crash when learning and it's best to do so on something old and banged up and dirt is better than asphalt or concrete. You learn to manipulate clutch, gearshift, footbrake, throttle and front brake lever, all at the same time. It gets instinctive and comes with experience. I've never taken a riding class but from what I heard, it teaches you to ride a 250 cc street bike in a 2 day class. That's a far cry to jumping onto a 1795 cc Honda VTX weighing over 750 lbs. It's not a beginner bike. Keep the bike, but get some experience after taking the class on a dirt bike so that you handle all the controls instinctively in an emergency. I had a lady pull out from a side street in front of me in 2015. I hit the brakes immediately with no thought on what to do. I ended up on the ground and felt lucky as hell. I had a broken arm and felt good about that, because if I hadn't reacted in time, I would have hit her broadside and ended with more than a broken arm. And hitting her drivers door with a 720 lbs. bike wouldn't have done her any good either.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Anybody who is darkside (CT) will tell you in a brake lock-up situation, esp. on the 1800 w/ linked brakes, that sucka will stop you in a straight line and stay upright. Thats what I really like about darkside, the increased traction -and- braking in wet-or-dry conditions as my age increases and physical abilities are decreasing. NOBODY likes to admit that, but they do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, I’m looking for experienced riders to be frank with me here. Last night I got to ride for the first time a vtx1800 I spent all summer rebuilding,after riding a total of 5 mins in my life I had driven it up my huge drive and when I went to turn couldn’t so I threw it in neutral and backed up a ways(this is where it hits the fan) I didn’t back up far enough an when I put it in first and feathered the throttle it jerked I lost balance and beacause I’m right handed tried to save myself by grabbing the right handlebar in doing so I accidentally gave it more gas pretty soon I was sideways in an old gravel lot at the end of my drive skinned a little( because I was wearing ZERO protection like a inbred moron but no big injury,however my bike bent the new handlebars ruined the rear taillight and broke my brake lever. I would greatly appreciate your input on weather I should fix my bike make some money and move on-or have someone help me with riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a serious wreck in 2008. Won't go into details but it put me out of riding for a year. 1st ride after rehab was one where I couldn't make spit. The love of riding and the peace it gives me overcame my hesitation to ride again. My suggestion is to repair the bike maybe take the riders course again. Look for a good family riding group that will make you feel comfortable with riding. Ask to ride with them a couple of times to make sure the group meets your needs. Once you are feeling a little more comfortable and have a few more miles of seat time, look into an experienced riders course. I know here in Florida there is a program called Ride Safe Florida and it is free. I was one of the best experienced rider courses I have attended. I have close to 200K miles since wreck. Own a 1300 Honda, 900 Vulcan, 2017 Scout and 2012 Street Glide all purchased since wreck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dust it off, fix what's broken and put 5 hours on it....... We all started with that 5 minute O S** ride....

As already stated there is no shame in taking lessons. Stay smart and stay safe....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most dads, including this one, encourage their sons and daughters to start out motorcycling with a light enough bike to master basic motorcycling skills. Once those skills are mastered, then and only then is consideration of a heavier bike warranted. The same holds true for adults. Common sense is not always commonly practiced, however.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
Clink
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing