Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody here has flag mounts on thier bikes...in particular to a Cobra Sissy bar rack....

I am looking to get something to take on my ride in July...

I am looking to use 11X15 flags, but will get 6X9 if that is all I can find...

I know a few of you fellow PGR members have some...

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Ed, I forget, is that a square tube or round?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Round..

·
Anybody seen my brain?
1,133 Posts
I don't have a picture :spank: but I made mine. Used 1/2 in. aluminum tube and 3/8 aluminum bar from Lowe's. Found stainless steel u-bolts and 3/8 acorn nuts at a local True Value hardware store.

Threaded one end of the aluminum rod to match the acorn nut and cut it to the length I wanted. Cut the aluminum tubing to the length I wanted. Drilled matching holes about 1/2 in. up from bottom for a cotter pin. Polished the aluminum to make it look better. I pushed a couple of short pieces of rubber tubing over the piece of aluminum tubing so it wouldn't rub. Used the u-bolts to fasten it to the side of the backrest. Slide the aluminum rod into the tube and insert the cotter pin. Put a plastic washer on the rod then the flag, another plastic washer and the acorn nut.

If I want to take the flags off I pull the cotter pin and put a rubber vacuum cover on it. If you want I'll get pics and post them.

The aluminum seems to have plenty of strength but if you have a source for stainless steel you might want to go that route. The aluminum will rub and leave residue.

Here's a pic. Not a close up. If you want better I'll take 'em and post 'em.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
I have the same rack. But mount is also hand made and flies two 3x5 flags.

I had the smaller ones but they kept coming loose and it was a REAL PITA to get the allen screws in to start it up each time. I use the rack each day for work so leaving the flags on was a non-starter.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the same rack. But mount is also hand made and flies two 3x5 flags.

I had the smaller ones but they kept coming loose and it was a REAL PITA to get the allen screws in to start it up each time. I use the rack each day for work so leaving the flags on was a non-starter.
I would be interested in knowing what you made to fly a 3X5 flag...I would like to be able to do that for PGR rides....

·
Anybody seen my brain?
1,133 Posts
I would be interested in knowing what you made to fly a 3X5 flag...I would like to be able to do that for PGR rides....

I second the motion. I've been collecting pictures and trying to figure out what I wanted to do for 3x5 flags. I've got some ideas but still looking...

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm gonna have to get a trailer hitch for my 1300R. I do not have a sissy bar. I took off the back seat. I did two PRG Rides this weekend already. I keep my stand guard flag and staff in my bag. I want to fly a flag on my bike while en route.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ed, I welded some aluminum 1" flat bar together and made a frame work that wire ties to my sissy bar under my bag. It has three pieces welded to it that point upwards and the flag mounts that I bought from SSP Flags LLC attach to them. I have the US, POW/MIA and the PGR flag on the flag poles. The thing I like about these flag poles, the base stays on the aluminum framework and the round part that the flags are on will unscrew from the bases. I use the three flags on missions only and I have another US flag that I put on the bike, after a mission, to keep the others clean and in good shape.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
The problem I have in finding flagpoles is my solo fender rack has 10mm chromed rod making it up. When buying holders most are for larger diam. rods. I have added rubber under them as much as I can but the wind still causes the poles to rotate on the rack. I see some 3/8 holders but I'm not sure if I could open the hole in a round enough circle so as not to ruin it. I sure wish I could find one the fit it, this is the reason I went to a multi flag holder that pinches the 2 bars together to hold it in place. It's not as good looking as what I've seem here but it does do the job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts