Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys- need some feedback! I just got thru installing Cobra speedster shorts on my 1300C. After aprox. 250 mi. I was in need of a tuning to richen up the fuel mixture. After carefully reading and researching the re-jetting process I saw no real advantage to kitting with a aftermarket Stage 1 kit, so I went with Scars "method". I read about airbox MODs and didn't consider mine a Mod until I removed my cover.(IT HAD BUGS AND DEBRIS IN THE BOTTOM OF AIR BOX WHICH TELLS ME I'M SUCKING AIR FROM CHROME COVER). My cover is a "Streetfighter" in which the design makes the face of the cover open aprox 40%. With that being considered I installed 2 needle shims which measured a total of .039". I removed the A/F screw and slotted as recomended. In turn I adjusted the A/F screw to 2-1/2 turns off seat. Results of the carb adjustments are as follows: Idle at initial start up was normal. When I accelerated and went thru the gears the performance was excellent and stopped the missing and backfiring on deceleration and downshifting.The problem I am having is when I go to re-accelerate, there is a big hesitation (or flat spot). When I back off the throttle and just drop the hammer it again runs like a scalded "DOG". Does anybody have any feedback or advice. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.:banghead:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did cut it down. Mine measured 7-1/2". I cut mine down to 6-1/4". Scars recomended a Max Of 5-1/16". On initial take off throttle response was excellent and greatly improved over stock!

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
your response if rich it is just a flat take off bog till the rpm gets up
a lean response is a sort of hickup (cough) then it takes off.

you now need to figure out which it is.

I lower the needle till I get the cough hickup then raise the needle or go with a larger main (you can run as high as a 210 with stock air)

All needle settings must be done with the A/F set at around 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 with a stock 55 pilot a larger pilot means less turns for the starting point say a 58 at 2 and a 60 would be 1 3/4

Only after the proper needle position is set do you go on to fine tune the A/F

1 - 4 of 4 Posts