Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into this for their VTX? Looks interesting. At $180 plus shipping i don't want to buy unless I know it works on the VTX 100%.

LSK Fuel Gauge eBay

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,875 Posts
Odometer works 100%.
Even on a bike with fuel gauge I'm using the odometer because it's more accurate.

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
Yep, on the 1300 you can easily go 150 miles on the main tank (I generally go 160 on the main tank and then start thinking about finding gas)!!! Also, a good indication that something is not right is when you run out of fuel on the main tank before you hit 150, if that happens switch to reserve (you now have ~ 1 gallon of fuel left in the tank) you have ~ 40 + miles of fuel left, BUT if you hit reserve at 150 you may be fighting a head or front quartering wind, low tire, fuel leak or some other issue so I would start looking for fuel right away!!! Also, if you hit reserve, immediately after switching the reserve tank valve turn the weather cover on top of the tank to the side exposing the tank cap lock. This will remind you when you have reached the gas station to switch your fuel valve back to main tank before fueling up so you won't forget and run the next tank dry because you are still running on reserve!!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been doing all that for years. I'm just sick of it. I imagine others are too. I am looking to maybe sell the bike just because it doesn’t have the fuel gauge. I just want/need the dummy light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Though manageable, the no fuel data thing is a downside of the bike. It's all well and good when you are cruising along at speed, but if that thing runs out of fuel at a busy intersection, you are in a precarious situation. I know from experience that 3.25 gallons will get me 135 miles. My personal limits are 110 on the main and 30 on the reserve. It'll go further, but that gives me from wiggle room.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Though manageable, the no fuel data thing is a downside of the bike. It's all well and good when you are cruising along at speed, but if that thing runs out of fuel at a busy intersection, you are in a precarious situation. I know from experience that 3.25 gallons will get me 135 miles. My personal limits are 110 on the main and 30 on the reserve. It'll go further, but that gives me from wiggle room.
Mine is 120. But it has gotten me only 90 a couple of times on the main due to stop and go traffic. Looking at milage is not accurate at all unless you travel the same road at the same speed on every ride. I may have to bite the bullet and just order this thing. At the end of the day $180 won't make or break me.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Has anyone looked into this for their VTX? Looks interesting. At $180 plus shipping i don't want to buy unless I know it works on the VTX 100%.

LSK Fuel Gauge eBay
The concept seems solid. I bet LSK would confirm it works 100% of the time. I bought the bike knowing it didn’t have a gas gauge. After 83k miles I have never run out of gas. The odometer is reset at the gas station and I turn the cover when I switch to reserve.

If you want to spend the money to add a fuel gauge or buy a bike with a fuel gauge, I fully support your right to do anything you want to with your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I'm pretty new to these bikes, but after looking over that page and the technical info there's one thing that might hang you up. If the fuel feed line coming out of the tank is under pressure, ie the fuel pump is in the tank like most fuel injected vehicles (this is why I brought up my unfamiliarity with the bikes), then it would not work without finding another way to feed the sensor. Like drilling an extra hole in your tank. The sensor works by measuring the weight of the fuel essentially, I'm simplifying but that's the gist of it, the pressure of the fuel being pulled down by gravity is what tells the sensor how much fuel you have, once you calibrate the display to your vehicle. So if your bike is carb'd or if there is another way to feed fuel to the sensor, and you have room to put the sensor which looks to be about the size of a regular automotive fuel filter and the computer on your bike then it should work. I know the 1800 is fuel injected and if the pump is in the tank the feed line going to the motor will be under pressure so it cannot be used for this type of sensor. If the pressure isn't enough to destroy the sensor, then it will display the same fuel level all the time as the pump should supply pretty constant pressure. In that scenario the only thing it would tell you is if there are any problems with your fuel pressure.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,875 Posts
Reserve is your dummy light.
Hit reserve and go find fuel.

More accurate and reliable than the gauge and light I have on my other bike where I've rode near 100 miles on E.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Danged trip meter wasn't accurate Friday and Saturday. Jumped on the bike on Friday to run an errand, it said 24.5 so I'm good to go right? Ran about 12 miles and parked it. Jumped back on for a ride with my wife on Saturday ran about 20 miles... bebopping along on a county road with my wife back behind me and a semi running up her exhaust. The trip meter said about 68 miles or so when it sputtered and lost power. As I reach down to toggle the switch to reserve I see that semi almost eating my wife in the rear view. She punches it and roars up along side me just about the time I get power back and just about the time the semi was dropping back again. Scary...

I know... I should have checked my fuel visually before I took off but the trip meter has always been correct before.

If the battery is old would it cause the trip meter to not keep miles correctly? The bike always starts and never had to jump it so far except once when it was below zero outside and I didn't start it for 3 or 4 days in the shop.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,244 Posts
If the battery is old would it cause the trip meter to not keep miles correctly? The bike always starts and never had to jump it so far except once when it was below zero outside and I didn't start it for 3 or 4 days in the shop.
Not so much if it is old, but if you lose power for a few seconds or ever disconnect the tank from the speedometer it's a automatic reset, except for the main odometer.

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
I have run into this problem a few times over the years. What has happened to me is I inadvertently stopped at a stop sign one time in second gear, I went to start moving and the engine died about 1/2 way into the first lane with a car coming towards me so I quickly hit the start button while kicking the tranny down into first. When I hit the start button instead of turning over the starter stalled as the engine was up against compression that had not had time to bleed off. By the time I hit the starter the second time the compression had bled off and the engine turned over and started up. Shortly after clearing the intersection I glanced at the odometer and realized that the trip meters had reset to zero!!! I have had that happen a few other times since then and have come to the realization that when you hit the starter button too soon after killing the engine and the engine piston is up against compression AND the starter stalls while trying to start the engine the battery voltage can dip so low that the trip meter can reset.

The trip meter portion of the odometer needs a constant voltage source to maintain it's information. It gets this voltage through a fuse in the fuse block that is hot all the time even with the key off which is why if your battery goes dead your trip meters will reset, in fact when you press the reset button on the top of the dash bezel for a couple of seconds you are interrupting the power to the odometer when you are on the trip display and since there are two trip displays you have to reset each one separately which allows you to reset trip one when gassing up and let trip two keep track of your overall trip mileage, or visa versa.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,875 Posts
Yup I've had it reset when I killed bike by accident at stop sign.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting... I'll have to pay attention to the trip meter next time I stall it out. I mean... you're at a stop and stall it... who doesn't hit that starter button as fast as your thumb will go?

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
Interesting... I'll have to pay attention to the trip meter next time I stall it out. I mean... you're at a stop and stall it... who doesn't hit that starter button as fast as your thumb will go?
Actually, I have pretty much programmed myself to pause before trying to start the engine after killing it. In fact in the last year or so I have only accidentally reset the odo one time and that was not too long ago!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts